44 | Stranger

Shehnaaz

" ...and then I somehow managed to distract her"

I finish with my narrative and look down at the brown glass jar that is now filled with candies.
"Hmm, I see" I hear her mumble and instantly lookup with shock.

Anita Yadav never stays this quiet I was currently sitting inside the warm interiors of Anita's chamber. I knew that something was troubling her when I noticed her off expression as soon as I stepped inside the warm brown office.

This place was one of my most favorites, quite ironic thinking that I used to dread coming here once.

Polished dark-wood walls dominated the floor and the ceiling was lit up with small halogens that cast a soft ambiance in the entire room. On one side, a huge plush cream three-seat sofa dominated the place and on either side of it were two brown armchairs. The bright floor to ceiling windows was concealed underneath the beige sheer curtains. On the opposite was a huge shelf filled with books about psychology and shiny golden awards. In front of it was a brown mahogany desk and in the very midst of the room was, what I'd personally call, was the high chair, the chair where my therapist usually sat but for some inexplicable reason, she was sitting behind her desk with a hand resting her chin as she kept on gazing far away.

I slightly panic when I see her eyes turn a bit misty as if she's trying her best to hold her tears at bay.

I'm not the therapist, she is!

I don't even know how to comfort people except for Neha. Ever since the accident, l've been emotionally wrecked in the worst way possible, which has snatched away my ability to feel any type of emotion properly.

Which is the reason why I'm here right now, today was such an emotional wreck. From worrying about being pregnant to dodging my tenacious mother's bombarding questions regarding my love-life.

'Huh, as if you have any', my subconscious snorts at me and I immediately dismiss her to focus on Anita, who still had the same look on her face.

"Anita" I call her but she doesn't even look in my direction."Anita!" I call out a bit loudly this time which causes her to jump in her seat momentarily as if she's out from some trance.

"Great. Let me guess I zoned out again, didn't I?"She asks and drags a hand through her dark  hair which now had a few red highlights among them.Can she be any hotter? Her bold chic fashion sense often made mine put to shame.

"I'm sorry. It's just-" Before she can finish, a man bursts abruptly inside the room and we both look up wide-eyed at the stranger. Behind the stranger was Anita's assistant, who looked as if she's about to faint.

"What the hell are you doing here, si-Ram?!"

Whoa, did she almost call him 'sir? He looks nothing like a professor.

"Dr. Yadav, I-I really-y tried t-to stop him-m"  her assistant stutters and Anita dismisses her with a look that said, 'Out, now!'

"What the hell I'm doing? What the hell are you doing here when I told you to stay inside the house?" He yells and his deep husky voice booms through the entire room, bouncing off the walls. The man was glaring at Anita harshly with a dark look that screamed hostility.

I turn my head to look at Anita and see her flexing her jaw with her fists clenched.
Oh no, this doesn't look good

Suddenly this 'Ram' turns to look at me with furious eyes and I almost stop breathing.
"Can you please see yourself out?" He manages to ask in a polite tone even though it was obvious that he was doing his best to control his rage.

If the circumstances were different, I would've protested about how he was supposed to be the one to get out of here, after all, my session has still not ended. However, instead of arguing, I find myself gulping with fear under the scrutiny of his arctic glare.

"What?! She's not going anywhere! You get out!" Anita shrieks out and I look at the back and forth not knowing what to do.

"don't make me do things you're going to regret" He warns her in a dangerously low voice and takes slow predatory steps towards her.

Like a switch flipped on, her demeanor shifts, her breath quickens as she looks down, glaring at the floor as if it was her mortal enemy.

"Why do you care? I'm nothing, remember?" She speaks in a low tone through gritted teeth with her voice laced with hurt.

Upon hearing it, Ram visibly winces before his cold mask slips back again. This literally made me feel like I was watching some movie.

"Uh, I'll just go..." I trail off after feeling like an intruder amongst them. Ram doesn't even spare me a glance as he keeps on staring at Anita, who tilts her head in my direction and says apologetically, "Tll call you to reschedule our session tomorrow. Sorry Sana"

"It's no big deal" I mumble under my breath before nodding at her and immediately scurry out of the study like a rat.

What's wrong with my life today? It almost resembles a cheesy soap opera right now!
By the time, I reach the parking garage, a ping sound of text alert makes me look at my phone screen and I instantly smile when I see Sidharth's name on it.

He made sure to obtain all numbers. Starting from my phone number to my office landline.
Truth be told, it was kind of hilarious, but cute nonetheless. Who knew that someone as ruthless as Sidharth Shukla could turn out to be such a sweetheart.

However, there were times when I would find myself wondering about Sidharth's past. Despite feeling safe and comfortable around him, there was something a tad bit shady about his aura too. Not in a bad way, but in a way that stays in your thoughts.

Then there's the fact that I don't even know many things about him. Now that I think of it, I can vaguely recall times when Ahaan will constantly praise his eldest cousin aka Sidharth, but unfortunately, the idiot never mentioned his beloved cousin's name.

Speaking of Ahaan, I don't even have any clue to say what to him regarding me and Sidharth. What do I even say to him? I mean he's my best friend after all.

"Oh hey, here's a scoop. I kind of whored around with your cousin during the event where you hired me. Or more like where your cousin hired me. Anyways, I hope you don't mind!'

If that isn't cringing then I don't know what is
Most importantly, what was I to even say to Ahaan. What was there to tell anyway? I don't even know where Ahaan and I stand at the moment.

Fuck buddies? Friends with benefits?Occasional hookup? His girlfriend?

Damn it! We really need to talk.

Sidharth - Dinner tonight at my place?

Before I could tap 'yes' on my keyboard, I pause to think, where the hell is his place anyway? Sure I've been at his penthouse but I was occupied with sucking his face to notice the direction.

Sidharth - I'll send my driver to pick you up if you want to come.

Is this man a psychic or what? The fact that he's a good face reader did not help my case either.

Shehnaaz-Sure I I'll see you at...?

Sidharth - How about 6?

Shehnaaz - Perfect! See you.

I cringed as soon as I sent the last text knowing that I sound a bit too excited. Looks like we might end up talking tonight after all..