40 | The Invitation

Shehnaaz

I stare at the maroon-colored envelope with disdain when I notice the gold engraved 'M' in the midst of the smooth hard paper. Placing it back on the kitchen counter, I stroll towards the beige leather couch and flop down on it.

The cool leather makes contact with my bare back-side as the white silk material of my robe rides up. I honestly never bother to put many clothes whenever I'm inside the safe confines of my home, which has become a habit, ever since I started living on my own.

My mind keeps on wandering back to the maroon envelope that contained yet another trip to doomland. The Malhotra's were hosting their annual gala and this time I have to attend.
Why if you ask me? It's simply because my beloved parents can't make it.

Over the last eight years, I've avoided this event at all costs, much to my parent's disappointment but now that I think of it,
maybe I'm strong enough to handle it. I mean for fuck's sake, I succeeded in tolerating that piece of shit and his slutty pathetic excuse of a sister. The gala shouldn't be such a big deal.
An old haunted memory crosses the threshold of my brain where I kept it buried for ages.

The shrill sound of my phone's ringtone pulls me out of my dark memories and I scramble up from the sofa to retrieve it from the kitchen counter, where I left it along with the invitation card.

By the time I reach the phone, the ringing stops and I unlock the screen to see the caller ID as unknown. I frown guessing about the caller and become even more confused when I see the code. It was obvious that the number belonged to a Indian citizen but I wondered who it might be.

Nobody had my number except for my employees, family, relatives, and friends.
I shrug away the thought and grimace when I look at the card.

Looks like someone has to attend the Gala...

****

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" I hear
Rohan asking for the 100th time and sigh with frustration.

"Ok seriously. Now you're treating me like I'm a child" I exclaim and peer down at the black lacy dress in front of me with narrowed eyes.
Hmm. This one definitely makes my boobs look big but....not appropriate for Gala

"How can I be treating you as a child when you are a child?" I could almost see Rohan smirking over the other side of the line and glare at it.

"Ugh! Shut the fuck up and just let me focus on my dress-hunting. Also, you don't need to escort me there. I can handle myself all fine without you"

"You're still searching for a dress?! What the fuck man? It's been almost an hour!" Rohan exclaims dramatically and I roll my eyes at his tone.

"Look, I need to look fucking flawless ok? I don't want to look like a hooker's tab or whatever they call it. Besides, I'm going to attend their annual gala after almost a decade, I need to look hot. Big time!"

"In that case, wear something regal with a big ass slit. You'll do all right"

"Ah! That's exactly what I was thinking about!"

"Of course you were. Did I tell you that last week when Sanaya and I went shopping, she literally told me or I quote 'Dad, I want to look sexy for Jassi's birthday party'. Imagine my fucking horror when I heard her say the S-word" He sighs with terror and I throw my head back laughing.

"Oh shut it! I'm not surprised. With the rate you swear all day, I'm surprised that she hasn't been spewing 'Fuck you daddy' in your face"

"Ugh, don't give me nightmares and I don't even swear in front of her" He defends himself.