59: Hope and Manifestation

"Uh, nurse, may I ask where Kang Joohyun's room is?" a woman asks.

"Kang Joohyun?" the nurses inquire, flipping the clipboard over to see the name. "May I ask about your relationship with the patient, ma'am?"

"I'm her mother," the woman says.

"Okay, ma'am, please give me a moment."

"Okay, yeah, take your time."

A few seconds later, the nurse gives the woman the room information. She quickly sets out to find the room using the nurse's advice.

---

"Mom?" Winter screams.

While her sister is still in the surgery room, she is waiting outside. She is with her stepfather, Baekhyun.

"Stop crying now," the mother says as she hugs her daughter. "How's your unnie? Any news from the doctor?"

Winter is so worried about her sister and nephew that she is crying like a child in her mother's arms.

"There hasn't been any update since Joohyun entered the OR, Taeyeon-ah," Baekhyun says sheepishly.

Taeyeon gave him a friendly smile. "How long have you been here waiting?"

"2 hours." sighed Baekhyun. "Seulgi... Seulgi was here earlier; she just sent the kids home to rest, despite the twins' protests."

Taeyeon gave a nod.

Despite the fact that she and Baekhyun separated a long time ago, they remain good friends and support each other with their daughter.

They were only awkward with each other when Irene and Winter made fun of their previous relationship.

"Wait, why are you in Korea, by the way?" Winter sniffed.

"I planned to surprise all of you, but it appears that I was surprised," Taeyeon chuckles bitterly.

"Joohyun and our grandson will be well," Baekhyun assures confidently.

Winter crosses her fingers and says, "Manifesting that one!"

Taeyeon frowned at her daughter, "Lower your voice, you might wake up other patients."

Winter murmurs, eyes closed, "Nart weeny beeney weeny beeney ganer gan! Ladida-do ba-badida! Zimzalabim!"

"What are you doing?" the mother inquired, perplexed.

"Psssh! It's a manifestation ritual," Winter responds, repeating the chant.

Baekhyun laughs quietly but quickly stops when Taeyeon shows him her fist and rolls her eyes.

With his imaginary zipper, he shuts his mouth.

-----

Karina's POV

"Call me if you need something, okay?" Dada says to me, wearing her jacket. "Don't go out and don't open the door unless it's your uncle Jackson. He will be here in less than an hour."

I nodded. "Yeah, I will lock all the doors."

"I'll get going now." she kisses me on my forehead. "Remember all the things I've told you, okay?"

"Yup!"

Then she hops in the car and drives away.

I waited until I didn't see any traces of her before I walked inside the house, where only me, Sooyoung, and Yerim here.

By the way, uncle Jackson will arrive later to accompany us here, so I'll just wait for him before I sleep.

I'm hoping mom and baby brother are okay.