Chapter 51

Arianna

"Who are you?", I asked, still hugging Vince.

"Huh?", he replied confused.

"Who exactly are you, Vince? What is your occupation? Why does everyone look so scared of you?", I asked exasperatedly in a single breath.

I thought he would stiffen at that question just like how dad and Theo did, but he didn't. He was calm. Very calm.

There was silence after me asking the questions. No one spoke anything for a while and Vince just kept rubbing small circles on my back and somehow that is relaxing me more than what I expected.

After a while, he gently broke the hug and I let go reluctantly. 

I didn't look at him and just stared at my lap. The tears have stopped completely and dried up on my cheeks.

Vince handed me some tissues and I wiped my face and blew my nose. I took a deep breath but didn't look up yet.

Vince lifted my chin up with his two fingers and slightly caressed my cheek.

His face has gone to its usual stoic and blank form. And I am not able to read his emotions and thoughts.

It is so frustrating when you can't decipher the other person's reactions!

"I am going to answer your questions to the best extent possible. But", he started and paused.

He looked me in the eye and continued.

"But I want you to know that nothing would be the same after listening to whatever I'm going to say. Whether you like it or not, things and perceptions will change. Is that alright?", he asked calmly, with his voice not giving any hint about his thoughts and feelings right now.

I gulped.

Why did the atmosphere in the room turn so serious and cold?

I can feel the rising tension in the air and the fact that Dylan is pacing to-and-fro in my room is not helping at all.

My heart started beating fast and I fisted my palms to control the growing tension in my body.

Vince didn't push me and waited for my answer patiently and I couldn't be more happier!

There is one thought that is continuously lingering in my brain and preventing me from coming to a conclusion.

Everything is going fine in the house and my relationship with my siblings has come really far and I no longer feel like a stranger in this house and family.

Everything is going smooth and after fourteen years of my life, I'm living a normal and happy life.

So, am I ready to change all that for the truth Vince is going to say?

What is going to change after I listen to his answer?

Can we continue to be like this even after this discussion?

But, I do want to know the truth.

I want to know everything about them.

I don't want to be ignorant about my own family.

So, I decided. I want to know the truth despite the consequences.

I took a deep breath and looked at Vince.

"I want to know.", I said without stuttering and he stared at me calmly for a long second.

"Very well then.", he said and looked at all my brothers once.

All of them had a tensed expression and looked hesitant about all this.

Vince shared a look with Theo and finally looked at me.