CHAPTER 28 / LOVE IS IN THE AIR

ON THE LAST DAY OF JUNE, Garroth had built up the courage to ask Kim out for another date. To the blonde's surprise, this was the first time in a long time that he'd managed to ask the question without a slipped stutter. 

-- Ask Kim out on vacay without stuttering.

Check that off the ol' bucket list. 

Kim politely accepted, kissed his cheek and walked off. 

As soon as she knew she was out of Garroth's view, she ran back to Lucinda's room where she found the witch and began rambling about every detail. 

Lucinda pushed Kim into her and Garroth's shared room that had their stuff on the bed separated by the classic pillow wall between their sides. 

Later joined by Tatiana and Remmi, they changed Kim's sneakers to a pair of black knee-high boots, curled her hair and added dusted makeup to her face. 

With her off-the-shoulder fitting top, blue skinny jeans, new boots and dolled face, Kim was ready for the date that afternoon. 

On the other hand, Garroth re-blowdried his blonde waves and straightened his unbuttoned top before heading downstairs to collect the picnic basket that, Laurance, Dante, Aaron, Cadenza and Nana had kindly arranged. An hour later, was the time that Kim had been scheduled to meet with the blonde guy, and he picked up the picnic basket. 

Each of the guys' faces (except for Laurance, who wasn't there) presented wholesome smirks, as they left the room and descended downstairs to presumably watch the footy. 

~ Minutes later, Kim arrived outside the beach house with a genuine smile as she stood beside where he was waiting outside. 

"Hi," She said softly, pulling out her hand for Garroth to hold. 

"Hey, you ready?" He asked as she nodded. Garroth reached out for Kim's outstretched hand and interlaced their fingers with one hand, the other holding possession of the basket. 

The eldest Ro'Meave led them to where the picnic blanket was set up, placed down the woven basket, and seated themselves down on the sand, under the refreshing shade of an aged oak tree overhead. 

~ ~ Meanwhile, Laurance met back with his friends where they were watching the couple from the beach house. 

The front window was set up with binoculars, a telescope, and walkie-talkies they'd gathered. Unsurprisingly, Nana was the one who'd organised the entire escapade. 

She'd been the one to get Zane, Vylad and Laurance to persuade Garroth to ask the girl out. 

Nana had been the one to instruct the three best chefs - Dante, Aaron and Laurance - to cook a filling lunch ready for a picnic, which was ham, cheese, tomato and avocado toasties, alongside ginger beer in small plastic bottles portion size, a bunch of grades, complimentary cupcakes from well, you-know-who, and fresh air-fried powdered doughnuts, Cadenza had made. 

Nana had made sure there were plates, cups, napkins and additional utensils, partnered with the classic red and white blanket, as well as someone to watch the outdoor set-up so no one could claim anything before they'd arrived, resulting in Kasey walking back after they'd arrived.

Kim had no idea about the whole situation and didn't know about the date until Garroth had asked her out.

For some reason, the gang managed to keep their 'cool's and the secret for the past two days. 

Aphmau, Nana, Lucinda and Laurance were the main lookouts at the window with their binoculars, reporting back to the group as they had their later lunch. With the addition of Nicole. 

"There's a lot of laughing and smiling!" Aph exclaimed, happily wagging her wolf tail back and forth. 

"Well, yeah, it's a date," Katelyn remarked satirically, taking a bite out of her sandwich. 

"Yeah, all going well, that's expected," Dante shot back, turning from the rugby match on TV. 

Y'know how they were heading downstairs to watch the game? The trio were retrieving the gang to spy, and then, they remembered the real match between Phoenix Drop's Phoenixes and the Meteli Asteroids. 

"Oh hey! They're eating the sandwiches!" Lucinda reported.

"I think Kim said they were good, but you know I'm not so good at lip-reading," Remmi added, falling victim to Nana's glare about taking her sister's binoculars and handing them back, before sulking on the couch. 

"Thank you," She replied, looking through the binoculars and squealed, "He put he is hand on her knee! I repeat! Garroth put his hand on her knee!"

Aph also squealed, "It's happening!"

The room erupted in cheer, as Travis lost a $20 bet between himself and Aaron, handing over the money. 

"They're going to get married and have Garkim babies!" Remmi exclaimed, as the cheer instantly died down. "What?!" She protested, "I'm just pointing out the facts."

By the time they'd gotten through dessert, the game had ended (Meteli had won by fifteen points) and the gang was bored out of their minds. 

"Does anyone find it a bit weird that we're still spying on them?" Cadenza asked, pulling her hair up in a complicated ponytail, as the ones on the couch hummed or shrugged in response. 

They were interrupted by Aph practically screaming, "Garroth and Kim are leaning closer! Ahh! They kissed! They kissed! We did it!"

"Yes!" Nana squealed and once again erupted in cheer and a huge group hug. 

"Your hard work paid off!" Zane exclaimed, pulling his girl close and kissing her on the cheek. 

On the other side of the room, Dante jokingly sang and danced around chanting, "We did it! We did it! We did it! Whoo!" He paused, witnessing their stares and drained out his tune, " Excuse me, but it was necessarily important and iconic, thank you."

Remmi had regained control of the telescope and checked out the couple, "Wow, it's getting pretty heated. Oh, no, bye-bye kiss."

The next scream was seconds later, which somehow came from Lucinda of all people. "They're throwing grapes into each other's mouths!"

Zane laughed, "Let's just hope-" As he spoke, Garroth caught a grape in his mouth but began choking. "-and there he goes." 

Kim banged the back of his chest, releasing the grape from his airway, which caused the two of them to explode in laughter. 

"Gross," A voice said from the kitchen. Their heads shot from the window to the kitchen island, revealing Kasey who had his hands clutched around an antibacterial spray. "All this, love is in the  air, germs, lingering germs, radio waves, Wi-Fi, Carbon Dioxide, polluting the clean air." 

Without trying to break out of character, he pulled up his shirt to cover his nose like a mask and began spraying the disinfectant around the room. 

That was one way to conclude their afternoon...