CHAPTER 81 / THE REVEALING

Here's the second last chapter to Bittersweet! As a peace offering, here's my chicks to show you, filed above because it wouldn't work below. We have five, named after the test subjects in Stranger Things. One, Two, Three, Four and Five. 

.

Of course, it was that time of the year again. The snow fell, carols brought cheer to the air and cinnamon spices filled the atmosphere.

Nana and Zane had offered to host the Christmas Day festivities for that year, so arrangements were easily put in place. 

It was agreed upon for the next Christmas to be at Katelyn and Travis' home. Not only was this Zane and Nana's second Christmas together (yet, the first in their home), Katelyn and Nana had planned that it'd be the perfect gift to surprise their partners and reveal the genders of their babies. 

Everything had been remotely placed in, so that the group would suspect nothing. Now at four months through the pregnancies, Nana closer to five, the bumps were visible and could no longer be hidden. 

Xander was also already so big that he could roll over and hold up his head on his own. The baby was very inquisitive and curious with everything around him. Even though he was the sweetest baby you could have ever imagined, he wouldn't sleep at night unless he was cuddled or cradled, making it much harder for his parents. 

The baby babbled and made the cutest faces that would melt your heart. Garroth was right, he looked so much like Becca, although you could see a lot of Zenix in his face alone.

The entire group (excluding, Cadenza, Sasha, Gene and Nana's parents) - yet including, Teony and Melissa's partner, were seated around the living room with coffees and hot chocolates.

"What have you made for lunch, Zane? Nana?" Aphmau asked placing both Celestia and Twilight in her lap. 

"Garroth and Laurance are working up the barbecue. Kebabs, steaks, vegetable kebabs, onions, potato slices, the lot," Zane briefed carrying a large tray outside.

"And I've made a pumpkin pie, carrot cake cupcakes, some Christmas cookies, and there's a fudge brownie waiting in the oven," Nana added.

"Then the salads, a potato salad, a garden salad, a pasta salad and the tacos Travis insisted to make, so there's more than enough to go around," Katelyn said with a nod. 

"Sixteen potatoes went into the slices alone," Remmi mumbled drinking more of the mocha that Kasey had made for her. 

~ After lunch, the snow continued to fall, so they decided to open the presents left under Zane and Nana's Christmas tree that everyone had brought down. 

Xander even had an entire pile of gifts for himself, most of which he didn't pay attention to. Then came everyone else's presents, some were thoughtful, while some were plain jokes.

For example, the first for Garroth was a vacuum from Laurance who was sick of cleaning up after him when his fur fell out. Zane got vampire teeth from Dante, while Travis had grey hair dye, quote, unquote, "to make him look younger." 

Then came Katelyn and Nana's gift to their husband and fiancé. 

First off, they received an individual gift that they knew they wanted. Travis had had his eyes on some Nike Air Force sneakers, while Zane had been wanting some classic novels for the last few weeks. 

In a small black box, with no wrapping paper on the outside, had their name on it, either Zane or Travis written on the lid. Katelyn has prepared Nana's while Travis was out on his shift with the outfits they'd chosen prior, as Nana had prepared Katelyn's. 

Travis and Zane opened the boxes simultaneously, greeted by black tissue paper so that they couldn't see what was waiting underneath. 

Once they removed the paper, they both were in for one of the biggest surprise of their lives.

Travis was welcomed by a blue and green onesie with an ultrasound screening, on it was Nana's handwriting in blue reading, "it's a boy!" 

At the same time, Zane pulled off the tissue paper to find  beautiful newborn-sized pink dress with cherry blossom accents and an adorable white coat with three white buttons. Almost identical to Katelyn and Travis' contents, was the ultrasound image written "baby girl." 

Zane grinned at the image, trying hard to hold in his excitement, then glanced at his fiancé and back to the image. He was overwhelmed by the feelings submerging him in his waves of thought, but he put that aside to share the moment with Nana. 

"We're have a girl!" / "We're having a boy!"

Both couples hugged and kissed, joined in an applause from their friends and family. They were delighted for them, cheering and excitedly talking about the babies. 

"So, who's going to be next?" Dante asked. 

Remmi hummed in thought, "I bet Aphmau and Aaron," she spoke up. 

She was wrong, but not too far off.