CHAPTER 68 / MOONLIT PROMISES

Vylad and Tatiana were supposedly the most unusual couple in the friend group. Think about it, Tatiana was born a wolf, the alpha of her pack until she ran into Ein, threatening the pack and sacrificing herself for the pack. She suffered from a forever potion only for her time to run out and become permanently human. It was only a matter of time until she was stuck with her alternate life. 

The girl soon went her separate ways from her family, finding her way to Bunny Hill Lodge, only to meet Vylad the next winter. There, Vylad was travelling when his parents suggested he try out the sight. So, he did and ran into Tatiana. 

It may have taken a while, but Vylad volunteered to teach her all he could to get her on the right track as a human. He had to explain everything, from a tooth to plastic and paper. 

Soon enough, their friendship changed into a relationship where they sought comfort from each other. Of course, Vylad had to dictate what a relationship ultimately was, but he didn't mind. 

A few days after Zane and Becca's successful birthday celebration, the pair had taken a walk down the cherry blossom orchard, having a relaxing conversation, hand in hand. 

For the most part, Tatiana was calm but got desperately excited when they passed a bird or saw a bouncing bunny nearby. Around dusk, the couple sat down on a bench to watch the sunset. They watched it fall in comfortable silence. 

Vylad couldn't figure out what he wanted in the girl right in front of him. Did he love her? He thought so. Did he want to marry her, have children with her and grow old with her? Yes, he did. Was he taking it too quickly? None of the girls he'd previously dated had stayed for so long. Vylad didn't want to know what to think anymore.

Tatiana glanced over at her boyfriend. She brushed down her skirt and fiddled with her black hair. She'd learnt to recognise different feelings, but to her Vylad was like an open book, his contents simply spilling out to her. He was worried, at least she knew that much. The girl tilted her head like a lost pup and reached out to cup the brunette's cheek with her left hand.

"Are you okay, Vylad?" She asked gently. 

He sighed and looked away, "Not really."

"Did I do something wrong?"

Vlad's expression altered to an off-guard gasp and array of surpassed guilt. "No, no, Tati, you did nothing wrong. It's just me, you shouldn't worry about that. For some reason, I just can't make up my mind."

"About what?" 

Vylad looked away and glanced up toward the maroon cherry blossom trees above them. He could see why Zane and Nana had always been so fond of the flora. They were calming in such an odd way. 

"Well, I've had many different relationships with many different girls, but the one I have with you is oddly different. Not that that's a bad thing, though! I- I can't explain it. Do I love you? Yes. Would I protect you in any way I could? Of course, without a doubt. But, I don't know. I want to tie us off officially. But, what if I'm headed too quickly with us? Is it okay? Sorry, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind," Vylad explained burying his head into his hands. 

Tatiana thought about his debacle for a moment. Humans had always been so much more complicated than she thought. As a wolf, by birth, you were assigned a mate, as well as your role in the pack. If your mate was to die, you had no reason to live anymore. Apart from her brothers and sisters, she was chosen to be the next alpha. 

Once she regained the position officially, she kept her pack going well for months, then everything had gone downhill. She always felt like a failure, all she did was make herself feel as if she was failing, she was ready to give up and run away. But, then she met Vylad. 

"Why don't we make a promise to each other? We could promise each other that we'll be together. Would that work?" She suggested.

Vylad liked the idea, even if it were naive and simple. "Yeah. Okay, Tatiana, I promise to always be by your side, through thick and thin, through good times and bad, I promise," he said grasping her warm hands. 

Tatiana smiled. "Vylad, I will stay by your side, no matter where this life will take us. I promise," she finished. Tatiana wiggled her hands out of his grip and held out her pinky finger.

Vylad tried to hold back a laugh. He remembered briefly teaching her about the unbreakable promising system. "Pinky promise?" She asked. 

The brunette locked his pinky onto hers and gave a firm shake. "I always will."