Chapter 9 - I Will Beat This Thing Up With A Damn Baseball Bat

It was 12:39am.

I snuggled into the large jacket that was wrapped around me, discretely inhaling to soothe myself with Hunter's scent. I watched the cars zoom past us as he drove through the busy streets of New York City.

I was sat in the backseat of my car, leaning my head against the window as we drove to Layla's house. She was fast asleep with her head on my shoulder and her heels were kicked off beside her.

The car slowly came to a halt and I reached my hand up to nudge Layla awake but Hunter raised his hand to stop me, "It's fine, I'll carry her." He spoke gently.

He stepped out of the driver's seat and came to Layla's side, scooping her up in his arms. His warm fingers brushed against mine lightly and my face heated up instinctively.

I exited the car as well but my eyes remained focused on Hunter.

He was holding Layla bridal style and his biceps flexed as he walked towards the house. I watched as Layla lightly stirred in her sleep and snuggled further into Hunter's chest. I felt my throat grow dry, watching Hunter smile down at her sleeping figure. I had no reason to be jealous - I hate him.

I rang the door bell and after a few seconds a middle-aged woman came to the door. Her eyes widened when she saw Layla laying unconscious in Hunter's arms and her gaze moved towards me.

"Hi. Can we just put Layla to sleep in her room?" I asked politely; weary of the fact that the woman had yet not said a word. She opened the door wider and moved to the side to let us in but I stayed glued to my spot. "I'm going to wait in the car." I mumbled quietly, scurrying back to the car.

At first I opened the back door but after a few seconds of contemplation, my hand shut the door close and my feet carried themselves towards the passenger seat. I slumped down tiredly and rested my head against the seat, sighing.

Why did a wave of jealousy wash over me when Hunter carried Layla in his arms? And why did I suddenly want to be in her position so that he would be carrying me instead?

My thoughts were interrupted when the Hunter opened the door and sat in the driver's seat. He stopped when he saw me next to him, and a confused expression came over his face.

"Why aren't you sat back there?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders carelessly, not answering his question.

He started the car and I leant my head back again, closing my eyes. Even with them closed, I could sense his stare on me every time we stopped, and it made me self-conscious but I didn't say anything because I didn't want him to know that I noticed.

The car suddenly swerved harshly, making my body jerk to the left and bump into Hunter's and I went flying into him. My head fell right into his lap before I could pull myself up and I found myself looking up at him. He gazed down at me too and stopped the car.

I knew we were at my house because of the familiar tree I could see from outside the passenger window, but I couldn't bring myself to look away from Hunter.

He slowly took the keys out of the ignition and dropped them beside him into the cup holder. He then brought his hand to my cheek, gently caressing my skin with his thumb. A strand of hair fell into my face and I reached my hand to brush it away, but Hunter beat me to it. He took hold of the strand and twirled it between his fingers before gingerly tucking it behind my ear.

I took this as an opportunity to fully look at him, for the first time noticing how good looking he is. A dark shadow cast over his eyes due to the snapback he was currently wearing, but the moonlight from outside created a nice glow on the left side of his face, complimenting his already prominent jawline. His eyelashes brushed against his cheeks every time he blinked and his eyes were a striking light blue colour, which had the ability to make a girl melt in seconds. I moved my gaze down to his nose; it was straight and thin, yet long enough to not look feminine and there wasn't a single blemish on his skin. His lips were full and pink, occasionally lighter at times when he wasn't continuously licking them. His bruise was completely faded away, and I could now properly admire the gold, tan glow of his skin.