Chapter 22 - Senior Year Is Filled With Late Nights And a Ton Of Coffee

Chapter 22 – Senior Year Is Filled With Late Nights And a Ton of Coffee

I couldn't sleep at all for the rest of the night. Every time I closed my eyes I would either see Chase's burning body or Hunter's intense gaze when he watched me have a panic attack. I could still remember the touch of his thumb brushing against my lip when he helped me drink water.

After I came back from Hunter's room, my mom advised me to call my therapist in Miami and tell her that I've been having a few panic attacks and nervous melt down's recently. I told my mom about what happened in Nando's with Parker the other day, and she was more concerned than angry that I didn't tell her.

I need to remember to call my therapist tomorrow before school. The last thing I want is to have an unexpected breakdown in front of the entire school. I need to know what is causing these sudden events before it becomes uncontrollable.

Like it was just over a year ago. I remember that night like it was yesterday. I remember the exact look that Chase had in his eyes when he was burning to death. I remember the ear-splitting scream that I released when I saw him. I remember the letter that he written for me before he died. I remember spotting it on the wooden table in our cabin, the creased edge sticking out of my 'Jane Eyre' book. I remember reading it and I clearly recall the ache in my heart when my eyes glided over his familiar hand writing.

That night is one I will never forget.

*****

"Have you got your phone, honey?" My mom asked for the 100th time.

I let out a laugh and nodded, " Yes mom. I've got it."

"Sorry, I'm just really worried about you." She kissed my forehead softly.

I wrapped my arms around her for reassurance, "I'll be fine."

"Call me immediately if anything happens okay?"

I nodded, "I love you, mom."

"I love you too."

I decided to walk to school today to clear my mind off things. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared about my recent panic attack. I don't think I'd be able to handle it if my anxiety had returned. It took me over 6 months to be able to control myself and now it feels like those therapy sessions were a complete waste. I had called my therapist, Maria, as soon as I woke up but the call went straight to voicemail. I left her a message to call me as soon as possible.

As soon as I got to the school carpark, I could see Hunter from the corner of my eye. He was sitting on the railings of the school gates with his skateboard in his lap. Some of his friends were skateboarding up and down the small slope at the bottom of the carpark.

Hunter looked up from his phone and when he spotted me looking at him, he offered me a smile, something I definitely wasn't expecting. I'm pretty sure he's embarrassed to be seen with me in school considering his spot in the social hierarchy.