Chapter 44 - Do I Mean Anything To You?

A/N – First things first... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

I hope you all had an amazing New Year's Eve and an awesome 1st of January. Whose excited for this year after barely having survived the shit storm of 2016?

I told you the next update would be soon!

This one's quite the deal breaker, by the way.

Enjoy!

Chapter 44 – Do I Mean Anything To You?

"Were you ever planning on telling me?"

I broke the thick silence between us, waiting as Hunter looked up from his phone before lowering his gaze again.

He had tried talking to me for almost an hour but I refused to reply to anything he said. Now that I had some time to let everything sink in, I was ready to speak.

"To be honest, I don't know."

"If I ask you a few questions, will you answer them honestly?"

"Yes."

"Are you planning on killing me?"

He became tense, shoulders stiffening. "No."

"How old are you?"

He ran a hand down his face, "I thought you – "

"I do. But I just want to hear it straight from you."

A few moments passed before he began speaking.

"I'm twenty years old, turning twenty-one in a few months. The reason why I'm in high school is because I was assigned by Owen to protect Kayla. I'm assuming that brings you onto your next question. Mikaela Summers isn't her real name. The name was given to her by Owen when she was brought into the protection of Cold Shadow. She was a victim of human trafficking of a drug dealer that Owen took down and she had nowhere to go so now she's here. We had to change her name when we found out that the drug dealer was actually part of a small gang from Chicago and Owen knew that they would try and track her down to take her back so he gave her a new start. New name, new life, new school."

My mind went back to the time I first started this school, "So the whole clingy, possessive, airhead of a girlfriend was just a façade?"

He looked up at me again and this time he didn't look away. I swear I saw the corner of his lip tug up into a smirk, "We had a brief thing back then and I told her to be a b*tch to you just to annoy you."

"Thank you. I'm glad that my suffering was your amusement."

For the first time in quite a long time, the atmosphere became light-hearted. But as soon as it was there, it was gone.

His face became hard and passive when he continued, "She was trained and taught how to fight and after a while she became my partner."

I felt a pang of jealousy at the pit of my stomach. Why the f*ck am I jealous? I hate him!

His smirk widened, "You don't need to worry. There's nothing going on between us."

"You can do whatever you want with whoever you want, Hunter. I couldn't care less. After everything you've put me through there's no way I'd go back to you. Like I said before, you're not worth it."

The slight flinch didn't go unnoticed by me. Hunter stood up and tucked his phone into his pocket.

"Where the hell do you think you're going? I still have more questions."