Chapter 49 - Penny For Your Thoughts, Handsome?

Chapter 49 – Penny For Your Thoughts, Handsome?

Alyssa Shade

"Can you please both sit down?"

My voice was quiet as I watched my mom take a seat next to Mark. He set Aaron beside him, before turning back to me, his eyes landing on my bandage once again.

"I've been in New York for the past few weeks."

My mom's eyes widened, "Excuse me?!"

Goosebumps rose on my skin when Hunter's hand slipped into mine and he rubbed his thumb against the back of my hand.

"I'm part of an organization known as Cold Shadow – a gang if that's what you want to call it."

A gasp was heard and it came from my mother. Her eyes held utter fear as we made eye contact and the way she was looking at me told me that her mind immediately went back to 15 years ago.

"The fact that Alyssa has been with me a lot over the course of this year triggered two dangerous men to take interest in her. They've been associated with Cold Shadow before so it's obvious that I'm the reason why they wanted her. My father noticed and he began tracking them. When Alyssa went on holiday to Miami, they followed her and went there as well so my father, who runs Cold Shadow, immediately contacted her and brought her back here to be kept under secure protection. Some circumstances arose and she left the building she was situated at and the men were able to take her."

I squeezed his hand when his voice cracked. My heart hammered against my chest at the state of my parents. Mark had his eyes fixed on Hunter, glaring at him with clenched fists and my mother's eyes were glistening with tears, her hand held to her mouth.

"They took her and were planning on killing her but we were able to bring her back. Unfortunately, she was shot in the arm during the process of getting her back to safety and now she is required to stay under the protection of Cold Shadow until we can be assured that there is no threat against her anymore."

When he told me he was going to tell my parents everything, I didn't think he meant in this much detail.

"I know that the both of you probably hate me right now and will never forgive me for the amount of pain and harm I have indirectly inflicted upon your daughter which is why I want you both to know that if you do not approve of me then I will stay away from her completely under all circumstances once she is allowed to leave and come back home."

"WHAT?!"

I ripped my hand out of his and looked up at him, "You're leaving me?! Again?"

My throat clogged up in panic, "No! No, no you can't. I just got you back and we were doing perfectly fine! You can't just walk away like that after everything we've been through!"

"Get out."

All heads whipped towards the shaky, feminine voice which dripped with venom.

"Mom..."

"Get the f*ck out of my house right now."

Her words were slow, cautious.

Mark snapped his head towards her, glancing down at Aaron in his lap.

"Sorry." She mumbled a quick apology.

This wasn't how I expected this to go.

What was I thinking? Of course she is going to react in this way after everything she has endured. Of course she isn't going to think twice about kicking Hunter out and making sure he doesn't ever look at me again.