Chapter 51 - Why Are You Walking Like That?

A/N – This chapter is dedicated to LaraibKhaan. Thank you so much for voting on every chapter and leaving such a thoughtful comment x

Chapter 51 – Why Are You Walking Like That?

"You know, summer in New York is a lot different to summer in Miami."

I swayed our hands back and forth, using my other hand to hold my ice-lolly. After going back home to check up on my parents and see if they were okay with each other and with me, Hunter decided to take me out for lunch and we ended up getting Ice-Lollies and just walking around New York, it has sort of become our thing.

Speaking of my parents, Mark gave Hunter a lecture about taking care of me properly and my mom apologized to the both of us for being so judgemental. In terms of them being okay with each other, I think Hunter and I established that when we walked in to see them playing catch with Aaron in the living room with him giggling and flailing his arms and legs as if he was on crack. There was obviously a mattress on the floor between them, just in case they dropped him.

"Yeah, New York doesn't have half-naked people prancing around."

I frowned at the tone of his voice. It didn't sound light or humorous. Instead there was a bitterness to it that I realized was consistent when we were talking about my home city.

"Why do you act like you hate Miami so much?"

The question wasn't interrogative or anything, just curious.

"It's not Miami that I hate. It's the fact that the man who killed Sofia is from there."

My heart jumped, something that happened whenever we were talking about Sofia, or even about Cold Shadow in general.

"Well your current girlfriend is also from there so could you maybe tone it down a little."

I came across as a lot more aggressive than I intended but of course Hunter had to turn to me with a smirk.

"Fiesty."

His little wink was enough to have my cheeks burning with shyness.

"When is graduation, by the way?"

I opened my mouth to answer his question and ask if he was coming, but a loud, angelic voice interrupted.

"Ashford!"

We both turned around simultaneously to see a girl running towards us.

I watched Hunter's face light up once she was in front of us with a bright smile on her face.

"Adrianna?"

"Oh my god, you remember me!" She nudged his shoulder and an uneasy feeling ran inside me.

Who is she and why is Hunter so excited to see her?

"Of course, I do! How can I not? You beat my ass in training so many times."

He smiled down at her. They continued speaking about their time together in Cold Shadow and I zoned out for a minute, studying her.

She was pretty, I won't lie. Her long, light brownish almost blonde hair blew behind her in the wind, showcasing her glowing made-up face. She had on a tank top and jean shorts which reached to her mid-thigh and her shoes were white converse.

I hadn't realized how close they were until I had finished studying her.

The back of her hand, in which she was holding her water bottle, was brushing against the zip of Hunter's open jacket and he was looking down at her in full concentration.