Chapter 54 - Are You Okay? Like Actually Okay?

A/N - Apologies for the delay.

Chapter 54 – Are You Okay? Like Actually Okay?

I woke up the next morning the way I've been waking up during the past two weeks.

In Hunter's bed. Lying in his arms.

I sighed with a smile as I felt his warm breath coat my neck. His face was buried in my neck with one arm draped over my stomach and the other one resting on my back.

My heart raced at our proximity. Despite the fact that we've seen each other naked and are completely comfortable with each other, I still feel light-weighted when he is holding me this close.

I don't think it is something I'll ever get used to.

I moved away from him enough for us to be facing each other. His lips were slightly parted and I softly ran my thumb across his bottom lip.

I never thought I'd fall in love with a twenty-year old gang member who is pretending to be in high school to protect a girl who was a victim of human trafficking.

That then brought me onto another thought. Before I knew Kayla the way I know her now, I had noticed the emptiness in her. Even though she acted all high and mighty in front of everyone, she couldn't quite hide the pain all the time. Maybe that's why she was such a bully in school. Hunter said that it is all a façade to avoid suspicion but the things she has said to people, to Marissa even, didn't sound like it was coming from a girl trying to convince people that she is normal.

There was more to it than that. There had to have –

"You look like you're in deep thought."

I turned to my side, not realizing that in the midst of my thoughts I had sat up, to see Hunter staring up at me.

I shifted so that I was sitting cross-legged and facing him. He propped his head up on his elbow.

"Do you know when you told me that Kayla was a victim of human trafficking? Do you know any of the things that were done to her?"

"She didn't really mention anything about it herself but in the background report that I was given there were mentions of rape and physical assault."

Hearing that made my heart drop. I was so caught up in my own mess that I didn't realize how much pain she has buried inside her.

From the corner of my eye, I caught Hunter's lips lifting up and when I properly looked at him, he was smiling up at me.

His smile is breath-taking.

"I love how much you care about people."

His words were laced with admiration and I felt warmth spread through me.

"I'm going to miss you today."

I rolled my eyes at his dramatic pout, "I've literally spent the past two weeks in your captivation. I need to spend time with my family and friends as well."

His eyebrows rose up in a way that made me nervous. In a good way.

A mischievous smirk replaced the warm smile, "Captivation, huh? I didn't see you complaining when I made you scream my name."

He knew he had me when I blushed deeply, but I wasn't going to let him win.

"I only did that to make you feel better about yourself. Plus I wasn't screaming, you're exaggerating."

"Is that so...?" His reached up, latched both hands on my hips and pulled me down onto him, "I think you need a little reminder."

I fell onto him the second his mouth found the delicate skin of my neck, kissing and sucking gently.