Chapter 46 - I Know You Don't Want Me But...

WHAT'S THIS?! ANOTHER CHAPTER LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THE PREVIOUS ONE?!

A/N - Please smash this chapter with as many votes and comments as you can because I honestly spent ages writing and editing it. Plus it's long xx

Chapter 46 - I Know You Don't Want Me But...

Alyssa Shade

"Who is your new girlfriend?"

"You don't need to know."

I slumped in my seat, annoyed by the fact that I got a blunt answer for every single thing I've said to him for the past ten minutes.

I had stormed into his room when I knew the girl he was with wasn't going to be in here and I've tried talking to him but he just doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

"Are you jealous?"

For a moment, his old self was back, smirking at me in triumph with a cocky look on his face.

"No," I lied with effort, "I couldn't care less about what you do or who you're with."

His eyes flashed with hurt for merely a second before he masked it with playfulness.

"It sure as hell looked like you cared when you were glaring at her as if you wanted to slit her thr – "

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY?!"

He looked taken aback by my sudden outburst, his smirk immediately disappearing.

"What do you want me to say, Hunter? That I care about the fact that you are happy with another girl? Do you want me to tell you how frustrated I am that you've already found someone to warm your bed and I'm still sitting here with a gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach every single time you walk by? Do you want me to say I'm jealous of the fact that it didn't even take you a month to find a girl who is drop dead gorgeous and who you can have a conversation with about your favourite guns and how it's like to live the kind of life that you live?"

I had done the task of asking Owen about the girl I saw him with. It is safe to say that hearing about your ex-boyfriend's current girlfriend from his father isn't the most comfortable of situations. He had told me that they met when he first started working for Cold Shadow. She was Cold Shadow's best hacker. It apparently started off with harmless flirting and banter and within a month they were practically inseparable. But after a while they got busy with their own things – her with the hacking and him with the street-fighting – until now, when they oh so conveniently decided to rekindle their relationship.

A nauseous feeling fell in my stomach – I've lost count of how many girls I need to compete with, so much so that I don't think there is any point trying anymore. He claims that he loves me and I believe him, but there's only so much that love can handle when you're fighting for a man who lives in a completely different world and leads the kind of life that you've barely even been introduced to.

I could feel the rasp in my voice growing with each shout so I let my voice die down into a whisper, watching Hunter's shocked face as I let out of its cage the bird I had buried deep within me.

"It kills me to know that we were never going to work because I don't entertain you or interest you the way she does. She is so fucking perfect and yes, I'm jealous. I'm jealous of her because it took us so long to even try to make things work but with her it didn't even take you a goddamn month."

For the first time in god knows how long, Hunter looked at me the way he used to. With the little glint of recognition in his eyes he finally looked at me as if I was more than just a stranger to him but that was quickly masked with a blank look as he turned his head away from me and walked away out of the room where his girlfriend was probably waiting for him.