Chapter 20 - I Know What a Bullet Wound Looks Like

Chapter 20 – I Know What a Bullet Wound Looks Like

But what I was seeing with my own eyes right now didn't even begin to describe how rapidly the guilt seeped into my veins.

I felt horrible.

"Holy Shit." I whispered in shock.

Without a second thought, my feet moved on their own accord. I felt myself leap from my seat and bolt down the stairs, grabbing my jacket from the sofa after realising that my top half was only clad in a tank top.

Ignoring my mom's calls, I ran outside and suddenly stopped, seeing Hunter leaning against my car for support.

"Oh my god!" My hand flew to my mouth as I stared in shock at his shattered form. It hurt me to think of all the pain he went through whilst walking down the street.

"What the hell happen-"

"Don't fucking touch me!" He roared maliciously, just as I reached out to place a hand on his shoulder. I wasn't sure whether it was because of the large bruise on his shoulder blade or the fact that I didn't answer him when he needed me.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered pathetically, failing to form a sufficient apology. My eyes glided over his body and my chest tightened with every bruise and every cut that caught my sight.

His jeans were ripped in a few areas and it seemed as though he had injured his foot because he was limping. The large blood stain on his shirt made me wince. I felt my throat grow dry at the sight of his injuries.

I heard a loud gasp behind me and scrunched my face when I realized that my mother was most likely standing behind me which meant that she could see Hunter as well.

She is going to do one of two things. She will either welcome him into the house and give him something to eat and probably tell me to help him and clean his wounds. Or she will tell him to go home and drag me back into the house and tell me never to get involved with him no matter what.

Her next words confirmed which option she went for.

"Oh my god! You poor thing, what happened?!"

I snapped my face towards her and shook my head subtly, trying to tell her not to ask anything. If anyone knew how secretive Hunter is, it's me.

When I asked him about the rumour, he didn't directly confirm nor deny it.

Anytime I tried to talk to him after our kiss, he either ignored me completely or pretended to be busy with something else.

Considering the amount of times I've tried to get some sort of information to spill from his mouth and miserably failed, I knew for a given fact that there was no way he would tell me what happened to him. If he wanted to tell me then he probably would have over the phone when he called me to pick him up.