Chapter 41 - Her Blood Is On Your Hands, Not Mine

A/N – THIS IS AN IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE.

The following chapter is a flashback and it is in a third person perspective. Flashbacks which are in third person tell the story of what actually happened and if it is in an actual character's perspective then it is what they remember happening. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is lying or twisting the story but it is basically their version of what happened. Remember this whenever you're reading flashbacks otherwise you will be slightly confused.

Recap – Alyssa has been kidnapped/taken by Jason and Dominic who are two really dangerous people from Hunter's fucked up world. She doesn't know who they are or why they want her or what is happening exactly. She is given a file by Jason and Dominic which has information about Hunter and she reads it, realizing that there is a lot about him that he hasn't told her or that he has lied about. She also finds out that Hunter is in a gang. When Hunter, Daniel and Kayla find out that she has been taken, they track her and are prepared to go and find her. Alyssa continues reading the file and then sees Kayla's name on one of the pages which has photos of Kayla and Hunter.

Ø A lot of you have forgotten exactly who Mikayla 'Kayla' Summers is so I'll just remind you. At the beginning of the book she was your typical high-school popular girl and supposedly dating Hunter. Then as we progressed it is evident that she wears a disguise for some odd reason which is yet to be revealed and works with Hunter in 'Cold Shadow'. Hope that triggers memory.

And now finally, on with the chapter...

Chapter 41 – Her Blood Is On Your Hands, Not Mine

Two and a Half Years Ago

Third Person Perspective

Hunter waited, anticipating a reaction from Sofia as he watched her drink in the information he had just told her. Her eyes were wide and frantic, darting back and forth between Hunter and the papers laid out in front of her.

"Let me get this straight..."

Hunter's heart hammered rapidly at the sound of her voice. It was vulnerable, dripping with fear and he knew at that second that there was no chance of her staying with him.

"You're in... a gang?" She finally looked into his eyes and his muscles tensed when he saw the thin coat of moisture in her eyes. He knew this was it. There was no denying that she was seconds away from walking out without a second glance.

"As in you kill people for a living...?"

Her words were blunt and he so desperately wanted to tell her that 'Cold Shadow' is a lot more complicated than 'kill for a living'. But he knew there was no point. The subtle shiver of her body was enough for him to know that she didn't want to be with him. She wanted to leave immediately.

He looked down at what she was wearing. It was a white, flowy summer dress, stopping just above her knees. His eyes were greedy, staring intently at her as if printing her into memory. Even with the panicked look on her face she was still as beautiful as an angel in his eyes. He couldn't imagine living without her but he knew that he would have to.

Hunter's mind went back a week or two, remembering how they sat in the gazebo behind her house, talking about how they wanted their wedding to be. How many children they wanted. People laughed at them for being so serious about each other at such a young age.

'Who falls in love in high school?'

That was the thought that crossed everyone's mind when they saw Hunter and Sofia together. He didn't care. At the time she was all he could think about. Everything about her was perfect. She was perfect.