Chapter 28 - Am I That Much Of An Inconvenience?

This chapter is dedicated to @sadiyahamdhala because she commented on every chapter of this book and her comments made my day so thank you so much!

Chapter 28 – Am I That Much Of An Inconvenience?

"I saw these really nice heels when I went shopping the other day and I think they go really well with the dress that I have in mind."

"Marissa, there's still like 5 months left until prom and you're already planning what you are wearing?"

She sighed with a smile on her face, "I'm just really excited for it."

"No, really? I can hardly tell."

She gave me a flat look as we walked through the halls. We both had our last period free and we decided to just stay in the hallways and catch up with eachoth –

I stopped.

Something caught my attention from the corner of my eye.

Marissa stopped as well and looked at me in confusion as I took a few steps back and glanced down at the row of lockers to our right.

It didn't even take a second for the familiar fire of jealousy to rage inside me.

Hunter stood in front of a girl who was leaning against his locker. His hand was resting against the locker next to her head and his head was dipped down to reach her shorter height as he talked to her. She had a smile on her face and he said something that widened her smile and caused her to lean up and place a kiss on his cheek.

I rolled my eyes and diverted my attention away from them. I honestly don't understand him. First he tells me that I drive him crazy and I don't even know what that means and then he goes off with other girls.

When I turned back to Marissa, she had a knowing smirk on her face.

I rolled my eyes and we continued walking down the hall, "I know exactly what you're going to say and no I am not jealous."

"If you saw your face when you were looking at them then you'd agree with me when I say that even a 5 year old would know that you're lying."

"Shut up."

I couldn't ignore the inevitable blush that creeped onto my cheeks. I guess I'm not so good at hiding the urge to strangle that girl.

*****

Hey, how come you're not here at the park?

Sarah just texted me.

Got a lot of homework to do.

That was a lie. I was actually on the couch in the living room watching random movies on Netflix. I could hear the soft snores of my mother fast asleep next to me laying on the couch. She had been doing that quite frequently throughout the last few days, falling asleep on the couch whilst watching TV or reading a book. It wasn't hard to tell that she missed her husband and with pregnancy hormones piled on top, she was finding it quite difficult not to burst into tears every now and then.

I was honestly trying my best to keep her mind off of the fact that Mark is thousands of miles away with no guarantee of his survival but there was only so much that you can get an 8 month pregnant woman to do to distract her.

My phone buzzed again and this time I saw a text from the one and only Brayden James. Speaking of, I had gotten to know Hunter's friends really well through the couple of visits I took to the skate park. Brayden is probably the funniest and least intimidating out of them all, including Hunter.