Chapter 14 - Thank You So Much For The Motivation

"Mom I'm going over to Layla's house, I'll be back in about 2 hours!" I called from the living room. I heard a faint 'okay' from upstairs and put my shoes on, heading out of the door.

I drove to Layla's house and knocked on the door.

"Hey." She answered and stepped aside to let me in.

I was greeted by screams and shouting as soon as I stepped into her house. My eyes widened in alarm and I looked at her frantically. She lowered her gaze and ran upstairs as I followed closely behind her.

"Layla what the hell was that?" I asked worriedly when we reached what I am assuming was her room.

She ignored me.

"Layla!"

"Just...Try not to pay attention to it." She sighed.

"Okay..."

"Let's just start." She insisted.

I pulled out my textbook and notes and we began going over last week's homework.

"Okay so when you want to rearrange a formula you do the revers - "

The door slammed open and I jumped in surprise, gasping when a young boy came running in. His eyes were bloodshot red and he was weeping silently. Layla mouthed a quick sorry to me and ran over to him, scooping him in her arms and cradling him against her chest. He began sobbing into her shoulder and mumbling incoherent words but it seemed as though she knew what he was saying. She rocked him gently in her hold and whispered soothing words in his ear. It didn't seem to have any effect due to the fact that he sobbed louder and began shaking slightly.

Suddenly, a loud bang from downstairs shook the house, echoing against the walls. A look of horror crossed Layla's face and she gently placed the little boy down on the floor before running out of the room.

I cautiously glanced at the boy. He brought his knees up to his chest and sobbed loudly, rocking himself back and forth. My heart ached and I mustered the courage to get up from my place and slowly walk over to him. I could hear still hear the shouting downstairs, but this time Layla's voice was heard too. I tenderly removed his hands away from his face and my heart softened when I saw his tear stained face and glossy eyes.

"Hey," I whispered, placing my hands under his armpits and picking him up. I stood up and he immediately wrapped his small arms around my neck and buried his face in my neck.

"Shh," I rubbed his back soothingly, "It's going to be okay."

I kissed his forehead to calm him down slightly and ran my hands through his hair.

"What's your name?" I asked after he pulled away from my neck. It would be a good idea to try and keep his mind off of whatever is happening and focus on something else.

"Ethan." He whispered in a quiet voice.

"Well that's a charming name. How old are you Ethan?"

"Four."

"Wow! I guess you're a big boy now aren't you?" I felt stupid trying to make small talk with a potentially traumatised four year old, but right now I couldn't think of anything else.

The shouting from downstairs became louder and I set Ethan down on the floor, "Stay here. I'll be right back okay?"

My mind told me not to get involved with another person's family matters but as a friend I wanted to make sure that Layla was okay. I took small, vigilant steps towards the stairs and slowly made my way down following the loud voices.