Chapter 11 - If I Were a Traffic Light...

"It's a boy, Mark!"

I was sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast with my mom and talking to Mark over the phone - he called specifically to ask how the ultrasound went. Normally, my mom wakes up early and has her breakfast, then wakes me up. But today, seeing as though yours truly offered me a ride to school, I was very persistent in being on time and not disappointing him by being late.

Why?

I have no damn idea.

I smiled, eyeing her baby bump when Mark asked me how large it was. "Big enough to fit an entire Soccer team I would say."

After we moved, mom only went to work at the NYPD (New York Police Department) for a week, just to get familiar with everything and everyone. She now has maternity leave until the baby is one year old and Mark is coming back in two months.

A loud, obnoxious honk startled me and I quickly grabbed my bag and jacket, kissing my mother on the cheek. A series of honks followed the first one and I bit back a smile a t his attempt to annoy me.

I opened the passenger door and got in, turning to look at Hunter.

"For a second I thought you wer - "

A gasp left my mouth.

What the hell...?

Hunter was a complete mess. His hair was dishevelled wildly with dust and bits of debris buried in his locks. There wasn't a single inch of his face that was not covered in a bruise, or a cut, or simply just blood. His eyes were bloodshot red, blazing with immense anger. My eye drifted down to his hands which were gripping the steering wheel very firmly. My eyes widened at the sight of his knuckles; bruised and bloody with open cuts.

"What the hell happened to y - "

"Close the fucking door!" He roared viciously. I flinched on instinct and looked at him cautiously. He was shaking and his nostrils flared with each deep, loud breath.

I slowly reached my hand out to close the door but something caught my eye.

My body froze.

I stared at the object for a few seconds. I could feel myself grow cold, hands pale and numb.

"Hunter..." My voice shook.

"Why the fuck is there a knife in the storage compartment of this door?!"

In the midst of my spaz attack, I missed one bit of detail.

The knife had blood clots smeared on the end of it.

Hunter leaned over me to shut the passenger door seeing as though I was frozen in shock.

I placed my hand on top of his to stop him. "No. I am not sitting in a car that has a bloody knife in it. And I am certainly not driving with a psychotic douchebag who has one in his car."

"For god sake, Alyssa stop being so melodramatic!"

"Melo fucking dramatic?!" I screeched, "You literally have a potential murder weapon in your car! That it not melodramatic that is rational!"

"Will it make you feel any better if I pinky promise that I'm won't use the knife on you if you shut your damn trap?" He hissed.

"Pinky promises are for situations like 'Will you please take care of my Barbie doll?' It doesn't really go well with 'Will you kindly spare my life?'!"

"Alyssa," His eyes turned soft and his voice was gentle, "I promise you I am not going to hurt you. Believe me when I say that if I wanted to kill you I would have done it by now."