Chapter 45 - I'm Not An Asset To Him, I'm Just a Liability

A/N - Please read the note at the end of the chapter x

Chapter 45 – I'm Not An Asset To Him, I'm Just A Liability

Hunter Ashford

"S-she hates me."

I hiccupped, leaning my head on the side of his bed beside his pale hand.

A humourless laugh escaped my lips when I thought of how messed up my life has become.

"She said that her life would be a lot better if I was dead."

"...Maybe I should kill myself, dad. But then there will no one to watch over you."

"How are you doing, dad?"

"Why are you ignoring me?"

I turned my head to look at him. His eyes were closed, maybe he is sleeping.

No... wait.

He's in a coma. Of course he isn't going to answer me.

My cheeks were wet when I touched them.

Am I crying?... no.

It must be raining outside. The rain must have fallen on my face.

I don't cry.

I never cry.

"She told me that I'm not worth anything. Is that why you and mom left me? Is that why you put me in an orphanage?"

I looked out of the window. The moon shone bright in the night sky.

"Dad...? Are you ever going to wake up? Or are you just going to leave me again like you did twenty years ago?"

I closed my eyes. A girl flashed in my head. She was laughing.

Alyssa.

"Hi, baby."

I whispered into the silence.

"I love you. I always will... No matter what you say to me, I will always love you."

*****

Alyssa Shade

"Rise and shine, babe."

A chirpy, feminine voice rang in my ears. The darkness that coaxed me was snatched away in a second when the person lifted the blinds.

"What are you doing here?"

Kayla stood at the foot of my bed, beaming a smile down at me as I let out a groan from the sudden intense sunlight that shone through the windows.

My bed.

It feels weird to say that.

But then again, I'll probably have to get used to it for a while, which reminds me.

"What day is it?"

"Sunday. Why?"

I released another groan. It was highly unattractive, to say the least.

"I need to call my parents and tell them that I'll be staying in 'Miami' for a while longer before they start getting worried."

She offered me a sorrowful pout when I put air quotations whilst saying the word 'Miami.'

"I'm sorry, but it's for your own safety."

"It's fine," I sat up on the bed, "Plus it's not your fault."

It felt unusual to talk to her so casually, given the history we've had. I don't think there is a single conversation before this one where we haven't barked at each other like bulldogs.