Chapter 98 "I'm Sorry For Not Giving Up"

Carlos watched in the background with his hand covering his mouth, feeling curious and awkward in the current position he's in. He met eyes with Jessica who just lowers her brows, looking firm at Carlos's innocent grin and a small wave. Carlos watches as she looks downcast and bites her lips as Peter explained. Carlos had to contain himself from laughing at the obvious rejection Spidey was going to receive from stone-cold and tough Jessica.

Spider-Man: Just hear me out first. I want help locating Tombstone, but since we lost him last night, we have to start from scratch. Before I helped you guys last night, I just paid a little visit to the guys who killed Tiger's family

Jessica: You- You found them? How?!

Spider-Man: Listen to me Jess...how I found out was by breaking into S.H.I.E.L.D and looking into the cameras-

Jessica: You...ARE YOU INSANE? Running from the FBI is one thing! But you broke into S.H.I.E.L.D! You just-!

She cut herself off when catching Carlos's astonished look, Jessica just turns her body away and steps a few steps away from Peter to take in deep breaths, sighing with her hand on her forehead and the other holding her hip. Although she won't say it, she was impressed with Peter. It's impressive that he wasn't caught by Fury but seeing how it's Fury, one of the most dangerous men on the planet, haven't caught wind of it by now is a bit...suspicious. Despite being impressed with Peter's skills by managing to get inside without a scratch on him, it's still a bit odd that Fury hasn't done anything...yet.

Spider-Man: I did it for Tiger...and Fist...I wanted him to rest after his trip from K'un L'un and to stop helping Tiger since it was draining him...I just wanted this to be over and done with

Jessica: Does he know that you broke into S.H.I.E.L.D? Does anyone else know?

Peter slowly shook his head. It won't do much harm if he tells her that Johnny knows too, right?

Jessica: You're gonna have to tell the team at some point but who knows if they'll even protect you once Fury finds out what you did...But how did you even manage to find them in the first place?

Spider-Man: Carlos helped me...

Jessica opened her mouth to protest but Peter explained first before Jessica could let a word out.

Spider-Man: I had a hard time trying to find the two murderers before I met Carlos who promised to help me

Carlos: Who would dare reject an offer to help the one and only Spider-Man?

Jessica stayed silent, eerily and coldly glaring at Carlos but switched her attention back to Peter.

Jessica: You already have a helper Spider...so why even ask me?

Spider-Man: Jessica. I only ask because-

Jessica: I can't help you anymore...

Carlos puckered his lips to the response and now strained silence between the two teens. This would be the moment that someone would step outside and be polite when about to witness an argument happen but...Carlos would feel ashamed to say that he isn't that type of person. He wouldn't want to miss the chance to see the Amazing Spider-Man and Coma Girl start a dispute...he would kill to see Jessica crack.

Spider-Man: Why? You aren't one to give up like this Jessica, don't you see what Tombstone has done to us? He conspired to kill Ava's family, he is using an innocent company as a hideout to create drugs, and he was the cause of my best friend being taken away! How can you just stand by while our friends' lives are tearing apart?