Ch. 12

⚠️Mentions of abuse. Read at your own risk.⚠️

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

JJ

I looked up as Sheriff Peterkin came into the room "You're like a Little Rock in my shoe. I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again." Sheriff Pete said and I shrugged "Maybe watch where you're steppin'." I told her and she put a file down in front of me. "That Little Rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it." She said and sat in front of me opening the file and I frowned "Unlawful discharge of a firearm. Trespass on protected habitat.Felony destruction of property. All in the last two weeks. You're on a roll, chief." "You think I'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea." I said crossing my arms and Pete sighed. "I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory." She told me and I frowned.

"The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in Wadesboro? How do you think Olivia will feel?" She asked and I looked up as she mentioned her and she nodded "Yeah, I notice the way she looks at you, even all the times she comes to me she talks about you. I've known her since she was a baby, she has a deep connection with you." She said then pulled out a few photos of the guys that chased us through the marsh. "You know these two?" She asked and I looked blankly at their photos. "My question is, Do you know these two?" "They... they broke into John B's house, and... then chased us through the marsh, shot at us and nicked Olivia in the arm. Other than that, I have no idea." I told her and showed me another picture which was an autopsy picture and I looked away in disgust for a second "Here's a more recent photo. Somebody gaffed them, then used them for chum. Whatcha think, bull shark?" She questioned and I frowned.

"Here's the bad news, chief. Whoever killed these two men is still out there, and I got reason to believe their next target is a friend of yours... John B. Maybe Olivia. You kids don't think you're the only ones after the Royal Merchant now, do you?" She told me and I frowned "And, yeah. I know about that, too." "Okay, Sheriff Peterkin, promise you he's not on it anymore." I told her and she nodded "So you say. I'm just tryin' to keep him safe." She said and went by the door. "I want you to tell your friend John B to come in and talk to me, and let's see if we can keep you out of Wadesboro. And Olivia, she's got a good life. After her other boyfriend, I know you want to protect her so do herself a favor and make sure she stays in her good life." Sheriff Pete told me and I looked down at my lap, she's right, Olivia has a great life, she doesn't need me bringing her down.

Olivia

I drove to the Sheriff's department and went up to the front desk "Is Sheriff Peterkin in?" I asked and JJ's dad, Luke Maybank who was an abusive son of bitch who deserved to be in jail, walked in and he smirked when he saw me "Well if it isn't, Olivia Bradley... how's your mama doing?" He asked and chuckled. I was about to lung at him but Plumb brought out JJ and he looked to me then to his father "Are you his guardian?" "I hate to say I'm his father." Luke said and I held his hand but he let go which made me frown in confusion.

I was about to follow JJ out but Sheriff Peterkin called me and JJ turned to me "You should stay." He muttered then walked out with his dad and I turned to Peterkin. "You know deep down his father is not a good man. You know what he'll do." I told her and she just looked at me "Come on back with me." She told me and I rolled my eyes "I have to get going." "No you don't. It's about time that we talk... about somethings." Peterkin said and I sighed then went into her office.

"Look, Olivia... I know you have been through a lot with you going to rehab, your mother dying. If there's something on your mind, if you're going through something, you can always talk to me." She told me looking at my leg as it was bouncing and I looked at the clock "Look Pete, I appreciate you looking out for me and all but I am fine." "Alright, if you say that you're fine than you're fine. But I want you to start thinking about your future." She said and I frowned "You can start by forgetting about this Royal Merchant stuff and stay out of trouble. That means staying away from JJ, I know you have feelings for him but you gotta think about your future. You're smart and strong... your mother wouldn't want you to bringing yourself in the gutter." Pete said and I shook my head "Olivia, I know you... i don't want to see you end up like your father." Pete said and I chuckled, I can't believe she would bring him up. My biological father, Nathan Wilcox was a horrible father and husband, he would come home drunk, abuse me and my mom, one night he almost killed me. He kept telling me that I was a mistake and that it's my fault that I make him mad. "If you knew me, then you'd know what was really happening to me." I said and I opened the door and trudged out of the Sheriffs Office.