Ch. 44

JJ

I sat back and sighed "Nice work, John B. You know these things lock from the outside, right?" I told him and he sighed "Okay, I was just trying to get us on the boat, JJ. I wasn't thinking that far ahead." "Well now we're stuck in here like rats... In this death cage!" I yelled and sighed.

"Okay, JJ, you're not helping." "You don't have a lot of room to talk right now." I said and sat down.

"You said you had a plan, but what happened to thinking ahead?" I questioned and he sighed "I find your lack of self-knowledge disturbing." He told me and I laughed "Last I checked, you literally
shot an oil container with the gat. Remember that?" "Oh my God! Shut up. Shut up!" Kie yelled putting her foot between us and I rolled my eyes. "Pull it together." She said and me and Pope sighed "Okay." "Let's try to find a way out of here." Pope said and I sighed.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Sarah

"I used the scuba gear on the Druthers. I had it all set up in advance, timed to the second. It was touch and go getting off. I almost didn't make it." My dad chuckled telling me how he survived and I held my head in my hands then ran my hands through my hair. I straightened up as I saw Rafe enter the room "Sweetie, what I need you to understand more than anything is that I never imagined that you would be there. I wanted to call you immediately to tell you that I was okay, to explain it all. It broke my heart that I couldn't. But I had to make sure Rafe got away." He added and I frowned "Thank you, Dad. At least one of us is grateful." "That's psychopathic, both of you." I said and my dad sighed "I promised Rafe that he wouldn't go to prison for helping me. I had to make good on that promise." He said and Rafe sighed "Not that you care." "Did it look like I didn't care when I thought Dad was dead?" I yelled and he rolled his eyes.

"It looked like you cared about running off with some asshole." "It looked like all you cared about was the inheritance." We both started yelling at each other. "Yes, you cared! You cared! That's the point! Anybody on that dock could see how much you cared, sweetheart. And I know you're angry right now and rightfully so." He said and I rolled my eyes "The important thing is that it's all behind us now. It is. We're gonna live a new life, all of us together. Sarah, where I'm taking you, it's paradise. It's off this place called Guadeloupe." He added pulling out a map and paper.

"And oh, by the way, all those A's you got in French are about to pay off, 'cause they speak French there." He said and I pushed it all away "I want to call my friends, and I want to call my boyfriend. Can I at least just tell them that I'm okay? And Liv, I need to know she's okay." I said and he nodded "Yes, of course you can. As soon as we get there, you can call John B. He knows you're here, right?" He asked and I shook my head. "No, he doesn't." "Yeah, he does." He told me and i frowned "What are you talking about?" I questioned and he sighed "When you were getting ready, he came by the house, and Rose talked to him. You know the cross you've all been looking for? Rafe was able to get it." He told me and I sighed.

"Turns out that, I guess, historically, it belongs to the Heywards." "Yeah, I know." I told him and he nodded "It also turns out that the most important thing to me is you, so I gave John B the cross for you." He said and i frowned "And John B was okay with that?" "Well, um, I had just given him a half-billion-dollar artifact, so, yeah, he seemed pretty okay. I don't know what to tell you. He's a Pogue. And Olivia is here, safe." He said and I was skeptical.

"Rose, Wheezie, come on in." My sister came in and I glared at my dad "Sarah. Sarah, hey. We are going to our very own private island. Isn't that awesome?" Wheezie said but I just stared at my dad. "She's not feeling real well right now, sweetheart. But she will be. We're all gonna be feeling pretty good soon, huh?" He told us and a man came in "Ward." He smirked and looked at me then back to my dad.

"She's awake..." he whispered and i frowned but he whispered something to Rafe and he walked out.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

JJ

"Hey, Pope, how do you kill a snake?" I asked and Pope sighed "You go for the head." "Exactly. But the head, in this instance, is the bridge. To take the bridge, we need maximum firepower. And I happen to know that there's an armory on this ship in case of pirate attacks." I told them and they all looked confused ""Pirate attacks."" Kiara laughed and I nodded. "If we take that-- I'm not just talking pistol." I said and Kie stood up "You lost me...Killing everybody here is not a plan." She said then walked towards the front of the container.

"Ah, we lost her. I'm serious. If we get to the armory, I'm talking AKs, pistol, knives, double-barrels..." I said going on and John B frowned "JJ!" "What?" I questioned and he sighed.

"We gotta get out of here. We can't do anything if we're still stuck in here."

"If I get enough pressure, I can Spartan kick that thing open." I told him and he shook his head.

"You're not kicking shit." He said and I rolled my eyes as we bickered more.

"Guys!" Kiara shouted getting John B's attention "Hey. She's got something. Quiet." John B said and i frowned "Oh, I'm so sorry." "Just move with her." Pope muttered as I rolled my eyes and went over to Kie. "Can we fit though that, yeah?" She asked nodding to a vent in the wall.

"Hell yeah. Nice one, Kie." John B said and I pulled out my knife "What was that about a Swiss Army Knife not coming in handy?" I asked smirking. "Just stop it." "Go." I climbed on the boxes and unscrewed the screws to open the vent.

"Okay, we raid the armory, get weapon, roll back here, and plot the next move. The armory is on the third deck, aft, near the laundry room. Let's roll." I said about to open the vent and Pope stopped me.

"Hold up. I don't think we should all go out there. It's too risky." He said and i frowned "Why?" "To be honest I think you should stay here." John B said and I shook my head "What?" "I have Sarah that I'm gonna go after. And Pope has..." "The cross." Pope chimed in and i frowned "And I have Liv. So, yeah. Let's go get them." "No I have Liv. Also, if you go out there,
there's 100% probability that you're gonna do something stupid." John B said and I scoffed.

"Okay, first of all, I think the correct terminology is "ballsy." That is it." I told him and they pulled me down off the boxes. "I'm a field player." "If we go out there, and we get in a bind, we need somebody to look out for us. That's what we need." John B told me and I nodded "Okay. I get it. I get it. I get it. I'll be on the B team." I said and he frowned "I never said "B team."" "Sorry. Are you calling me "B team"? Did B team not just find our way out, or am I totally tripping?" Kie said and I rolled my eyes "Hang back. Hold down the fort." Pope told me and I sighed "Great. Looking forward to it. Mm-hmm." I muttered and Kie looked at me "I'll babysit." She said and I glared at her "You guys have fun. It's your funeral, your game. I'll be in here, on the bench... just make sure you find Liv." I told them and sat down.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

John B

Kie pulled us closer and sighed "Hey. Don't get shot. That's all I got." Kiara told us and I nodded "Um, "Don't get shot." Positive affirmations, Kie." "Well, that's disheartening and scary." Me and Pope told her and she shrugged "Yep. No problem." She said and we took off the vent and I made sure the coast was clear.

"Okay, let's go... Pope, grab my feet. Pope, grab my feet! Oh! Jesus!" I groaned as Pope let go of me and I fell to the barrel. We snuck around and made our way to find Sarah, Liv and the cross.