Ch. 23

They led us to a tent and I looked around at all the armed guys "Right to your left here

They led us to a tent and I looked around at all the armed guys "Right to your left here... Right here." Officer Plumb told us and Shoupe turned to us "Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about." He said and I sat down in between JJ and Kie while Pope was on the other side of her. "Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro and all other inlets from Shem Creek to Breach Inlet. I want eyes on all coastal access points, people. Let's get this guy." We heard and my hands were shaking but JJ held it while Pope held Kiara's hand "Hey, it's gonna be alright." JJ whispered to me and I nodded, soon the lighthouse power came on and we heard commotion "What's going on out there?" I muttered and it started raining, Bratcher came into the tent and walked over to me

"We need to talk with you." He said and I looked between JJ, Kiara, and Pope then back to Bratcher.

I nodded then he took me to the tent across from where my friends were "John B? John B, I know you are there, son. I know you can hear me, and if you love my daughter like I think you love my daughter, then you will turn that boat around and come back. You are going into a storm that you cannot survive." I heard and I saw Ward at a radio, I frowned and Bratcher pulled me to a chair next to Ward "John B, please, I will make it right. I promise you. Come back... Someone is here wants to talk with you." Ward said and I frowned "No..." "Talk to him, do it for Sarah." Ward said and I looked him in the eye then looked to Shoupe and sighed "John B." I muttered into the radio and I heard static "John B, whatever you do, I just want you to know that... I will make our family whole again. Just... just keep going." I said and smiled then Ward grabbed the radio from me

"John B, I am begging you. Think of her and turn around... Olivia and your cousin's need you." "Ward Cameron, do you hear me?" We heard John B and I sat back in the chair "Yes. Yes, son, I'm right here. I'm right here. Your cousin is here. Please bring her back, okay? We'll work it all out when you get home." "You killed my father, Olivia's father and grandfather, and you framed me for a murder I didn't commit. You took everything from me!" John B yelled through the radio and I looked at the confusion on the other officers faces "You took everything from me and my cousins! But I'm still here. And I swear to God, Ward, I will come back one day and take what's mine." John B said and I balled my fist "So, you listen to me, all right? I'm comin' for you." He said and I smirked "I'm coming for you." John B ended and it went to static, tears formed in my eyes and I stared at the radio.

"We've lost their radio signal, sir." Someone said and I put my hands on the table, catching my breath "Those are kids out there. Don't stop lookin'." Shoupe said into the radio then looked at Ward "You don't go anywhere. We're gonna need to talk to you." Shoupe said then looked at me "Let's get you back to your friends." He said but I bent down closer to Ward "If something happens to them, it will be all your fault... and you'll have to live with that guilt every time you look at me or at Weezie because she might have lost her sister... I'll be your worst nightmare, Mr. Cameron." I whispered in his ear then Shoupe pulled me to the other tent.

"Liv... Is John B and Sarah okay? Did they make it?" JJ asked as they all stood up and I just stared at the ground, the realization hit that I just lost my cousin, JJ held my hands then looked to Shoupe "Did you find them?" Pope asked and he shook his head as he looked at me "No." "So, they got away?" Kie questioned and we heard thunder outside. "We, uh... we lost them... I'm sorry." Shoupe told them and I pulled away from JJ then walked towards the opening of the tent to try and breathe "You lost them? What do you mean you lost them? Like, they're gone? What are you talking about?" Pope asked and I felt trapped with every question my friends asked and there was this pounding in my head. "They took an open boat into a tropical depression, Pope." "So, they're dead?" Kie asked and I looked up to Shoupe "We don't know." "You drove them straight through the storm, man! Are you kidding me? Come here! I'm gonna kill you!" JJ yelled and Kiara tried to stop him lunging at Shoupe but he was just too strong but Plumb and Thomas pulled him back. "JJ, stop!" Kie yelled and I just stepped back trying to breathe but everything seemed to get blurrier and the pounding became louder. John B, my mom, my dad, my grandfather; their dead, everyone that I love is dead and now I have to tell my siblings another family member is gone. "You killed him!" "He didn't kill anyone, and you know it!" JJ and Pope yelled and Shoupe nodded and looked at all of us "We're still looking for him, all right?" Shoupe told us and I watched as all my friends were crying or yelling. I held my hands to my ears as pounding got harder and harder "Pope. Pope, just stop. Please, stop." Kiara cried and hugged Pope, I looked over at the opening of the tent to see Kie's mom and dad with Popes parents and Mrs. Lana "Lana? Where are-" "Livy!" I heard and I saw Robbie, Julian, and Frankie running in then hugged me tightly. I started sobbing and I looked up to see Mrs. Lana "He's gone." I cried and she pulled us into a tight hug then I pulled away to see JJ, Pope and Kiara hugging and I walked towards them but I was so dizzy, I stumbled but JJ noticed and caught me "Liv? Hey, Liv." JJ muttered and my knees gave out and I collapsed into his arms "Hey, she needs help over here!" I heard JJ yell and I blacked out.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

I heard beeping then opened my eyes to see I was in the hospital, I looked around and I saw JJ in a chair sleeping, with Frankie was laying in his lap sleeping as well which made me smile. JJ opened his eyes and smiled "Hi." He muttered then shook Frankie gently awake "Hey look who's up." JJ whispered to her then she rubbed her eyes and looked at me "Livy, your okay." She said then hugged me but I drew in a sharp breath "Ooh sore... but it's okay." I told her as she looked worried but I hugged her gently. "I thought you were gonna leave us." Frankie said and I smiled "I promised I was never going to leave you." I told her then looked at JJ "What happened?" "Well you collapsed in my arms and so they took you here and it looks like you were dehydrated and had a panic attack but u also had sprained ankle, oh and let's not forget you were shot in the leg." JJ said and I sighed "How long have I been here? And where's John B? Is he okay?" I asked and he looked down at the ground "Um... a few days. What uh- what do you remember?" He asked and I shrugged "Last thing I remember is John B leaving in the phantom..." I muttered and he sighed. "John B didn't make it. The boat, it was lost." JJ told me and I shook my head "No... no, no, no. It can't... he's not gone!" I tried to control my breathing but I just couldn't, I cried for hours until I fell asleep.

I opened my eyes slowly and instead of seeing JJ, I saw Rafe and I reached for the call button but he grabbed my hand "Please, Liv, I- I wanted to see if you were okay. I- I get that you don't want to see me but I need you to know that I thought what I did was right. I was trying to protect my father okay... I'm sorry... okay, I'm sorry." Rafe said and I shook my head "No, get out Rafe." "Please, Liv." Rafe kept saying as I pushed his hands away from the call button and my breathing became hard "Rafe, please get out! Get out! GET OUT!!" I yelled and suddenly a few nurses came in to see what was happening and JJ followed in. My heart monitor was going crazy as I gasped for air. I took one last look at Rafe as he had tears in his eyes but JJ just pushed him out "Breathe sweetie, just breathe." the nurse said and gave me a sedative to calm me down then JJ stood next to my bed "Hey, it's alright. I'm not leaving you okay." JJ whispered kissing my forehead and I closed my eyes slowly falling in a deep sleep.

It's been a day or two since I left the hospital and I stayed at the Château with JJ and my siblings; Pope and Kiara would come by but they have to leave because their parents needed them home, I kept having nightmares where I'd wake up screaming and JJ would be there to hold me but it wouldn't help.