Chapter 31 - Doubt

The teachers raced against the clock and managed to mark all the test papers during the weekend. On Monday, the results of the very first monthly test were released. But these results caused a considerable stir.

The student representative, Lin Qian, who had defended the No.1 throne for years now, actually lost it. Not only did he unexpectedly lose 1st place, but he didn’t even make it to the top ten. He slipped down all the way to the 20th place, which can only be called middling if you were in the top class.

Also, the person who took the No.1 spot was surprisingly Huo Yerui.

As soon as these results were announced, the entire school was at an uproar. Hong KeYi, who was the homeroom teacher for the top class, immediately had a talk with Lin Qian.

Hong KeYi’s heart was burning with anxiety. It hadn’t been long since Lin Qian’s university recommendations were sent out to get audited, yet there was already a considerable decline in his results. This was very troubling to both the school and herself personally.

But compared to Hong KeYi’s apprehension, Lin Qian seemed a lot calmer.

In all honesty, not only was Lin Qian calm, he was even relieved. In fact, his performance this time was a lot better than he expected. According to his review plans, getting in the top 50 in this first test would’ve been pretty good already.

Thanks to his lingering regret from failing the college entrance exams in his last life, Lin Qian had always focused on maintaining a good learning headspace, even after university. He participated in a lot of work-study seminars, and even got a postgraduate degree. It was only because of all this hard work that Lin Qian managed to adapt to high school knowledge so quickly in this life.

As long as he could maintain this pace and not trip up, Lin Qian was confident in breaking through the top five in next month’s test.

But Hong KeYi obviously wouldn’t be able to understand this. Seeing Lin Qian calm in front of her, she couldn’t sit still. She directly asked what her heart had been speculating all this time. “Don’t tell me…you spent so much time with Class 8 students, that it impacted your studying?”

Initially, when Lin Qian wanted to help his fellow classmates, Hong KeYi was quite supportive of the idea. But if helping others was affecting Lin Qian’s own grades, then she was determined to knock some sense into Lin Qian.

What’s more, when Hong KeYi looked at the test results for the students they were tutoring, she saw that they hadn’t made any progress at all.

Lin Qian had been exposed to society longer than Hong KeYi at this point, so he knew what she was thinking. Lin Qian immediately smiled and answered: “It has nothing to do with them. I was just unlucky this time. I’ll definitely do a lot better in next month’s test.”

Hong KeYi felt that Lin Qian still wasn’t taking matters seriously, so she solemnly said: “Lin Qian, do you think that since your recommendation is already being processed that you can relax?”

Lin Qian didn’t know whether to laugh or cry: “That’s really not it…”

Hong KeYi interrupted him. “To tell you the truth, the school sent out two recommendations.”

Lin Qian froze. Hong KeYi thought that he had gotten scared, so she quickly changed her tone and tried to appease him. “You have the advantage though. As long as nothing happens, the recommendation will definitely be yours. I didn’t think it was necessary to let you know, but now results in this test…if this continues, I’m afraid…”

Hong KeYi didn’t finish, but her expression got the message across.

Lin Qian smiled and replied: “I understand, Ms. Hong. Thank you for reminding me.”