Chapter 56 - Standards

Bai YanZhu entered Class 8 during their self-study for his usual morning patrol.

He noticed the atmosphere of Class 8 to be a little different today. Class 8 would usually be the loudest class on the entire floor, but as he approached the door, he heard no sound or loud chatter inside. It made Bai YanZhu a little confused.

As soon as Bai YanZhu entered the classroom, the class that had been waiting for him for half a day burst into warm applause. Some of the students even whistled.

For a moment, Bai YanZhu was stupefied. He heard Lou XingGuang shout: “Teacher Bai, look over here!”

Bai YanZhu turned towards the voice and saw two students at the back of the classroom unfurl a large red banner under Lou XingGuang’s command. As the red banner opened, the large white letters printed on it became clear– ‘Congratulations to Mr. Bai, delighted for you to get first place in the student satisfaction survey!’

Lou XingGuang simultaneously started his commentary: “Adding the word ‘delighted’ is really wonderful, ah. It makes such a rigid blessing to sound a lot livelier. Our Boss is so talented.”

Zheng PingQing didn’t say anything and simply chuckled. Where was he talented? It was the flourishing WeChat businessmen of the future that deserved all the credit.

Bai YanZhu: “….”

This scene in front of him was pretty hilarious. No student would make a banner for their teacher so solemnly, just to celebrate such a trivial manner.

But Bai YanZhu’s eyes began to involuntarily heat up. He awkwardly touched the back of his head, and not-so-firmly said: “Oh, you all, what’s with this nonsense….”

Dong MingEn jumped from the side and hooked an arm around Bai YanZhi’s shoulders. As if they were good brothers, he said: “Teacher Bai, I heard that you were bullied in the teacher’s office by that person surnamed Huo?”

“Don’t keep all your grievances bottled up, ah. Just let it all out.” Dong MingEn patted his chest. “You’re the homeroom teacher of Class 8. We’re practically in a mother-daughter…ah, mother-son….cough, father-son relationship. Just say the word, and Brother Dong of No.12 High School will back you up.

Bai YanZhu: “….”

This small hoodlum, being so cheeky…

Bai YanZhu pulled Dong MingEn away, then half-angrily and half-jokingly said: “I got it. Hurry up and get back to your seat and study. The finals are just around the corner, make the most of the time you have left.”

“Shit.” Dong MingEn turned away, shaking his head and muttering, “Really like my mother. Every time she opens her mouth, it’s all study, study, study.”

Lou XingGuang rolled up the banner and gave it to Bai YanZhu, saying: “Teacher Bai, we’ll always have your back. You should believe in yourself, and in us. Don’t be defeated by such evil forces.”

Bai YanZhu accepted the banner with mixed feelings. Although these children were being supportive, making him feel touched, their behavior was really…Bai YanZhu didn’t know if he should cry or laugh.

Where did they learn how to do such things, ah!

Bai YanZhu thought for a moment, then finally found the courage to say: “Students, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.” All the students of Class 8 replied, waving their hands dismissively.

Bai YanZhu: “….”

It was then that Zheng PingQing said: “Teacher Bai, I don’t think the school will continue with the satisfaction survey. But no matter whether there’s a survey or not, you’ll always be number one in our hearts.”