Chapter 52 - Those Who Aren't Afraid of Death

“Teacher Bai, what score did you get?” Teacher Sun, who teaches English in Class 7 and Class 8, leaned towards Bai YanZhu and asked in a low voice.

Huo PingChuan claimed to be able to asses a teacher’s performance through this teacher satisfaction survey. So at his insistence, the results of this survey were to be applied to the teachers’ bonus assessments.

Truthfully, Principal Qiu thought the survey hadn’t been properly verified and shouldn’t be considered when calculating the teachers’ bonuses. He and Huo PingChuan had a long argument about this.

But Huo PingChuan had already prepared a stack of random endorsements from other institutions to combat him. More importantly, he used his ultimate trump card- Huo PingChuan asked his superiors to give him their written approval and consent to use the survey in any way he deemed necessary. In the end, Principal Qiu had no choice but to reluctantly give in.

In order to get the survey results before the semester ended, the survey agency quickly collected all the questionnaires and calculated the scores in the fastest time possible. Their methods of analysis weren’t disclosed in detail, but somehow, a set of teacher scores was determined and was soon sent back to the school.

Teachers who had never done something like this before didn’t really understand how the teacher satisfaction survey worked. But they did understand that their scores would be based on their reputation with the students. So, of course, the teachers would inevitably crowd together and compare their scores with each other.

This was especially true with the teachers who taught the same class. Because they faced the same group of students, their scores can be seen as the most direct reflection of their work performance and their popularity. And it even affected their bonuses.

But if their scores were to be made public, some teachers with low scores would naturally get embarrassed.

For example, Bai YanZhu. He was the homeroom teacher of Class 8 and was very dedicated to helping his underachieving students. A few of the teachers joked that he was just wasting his time, while others kindly advised him to not be too sincere. They all thought that these hooligans wouldn’t be moved by his sincerity and that Bai YanZhu’s actions would all be for naught.

But when they entered their senior year, Class 7 and Class 8 changed dramatically. These little gangsters all turned into prodigal children practically overnight, creating the largest learning spectacle since the establishment of No.12 High School. This made Bai YanZhu puff up his chest and laugh all day long. He probably treated his students better than any parent treated their own child.

It can be said that Class 8 was the pride of Bai YanZhu.

Unfortunately, according to the survey results, the students of Class 8 didn’t regard their homeroom teacher as proudly.

It wasn’t that Bai YanZhu’s score was particularly low. He had a relatively middling score when compared to the other teachers of Class 8, which wasn’t bad. But when you compare this to Bai YanZhu’s enthusiastic chatter that one could hear in the office every single day, this score was a little aloof.

It was as if Bai YanZhu’s sincerity towards his students was just his own wishful thinking. In the end, his students had never really taken him all that seriously.

This made the other teachers feel sad for Bai YanZhu. In the end, a hooligan had a hooligan’s heart, ah.

Bai YanZhu understood that even if a teacher invested so much time and effort towards his students, those students had no obligation to do the same. But when Bai YanZhu saw his scores, he couldn’t help but feel a sense of loss.