Chapter 41 - A Number of Guaranteed Places

In the afternoon, the results of the second monthly test were posted. Immediately after, news began to spread amongst the students of No.12 High School. This year, the school was considering two people to give a recommendation to. In addition to student representative Lin Qian, there was another contender: Huo YeRui. The school will select one of them to have the final recommendation.

When the news came out, the entire school was in an uproar. No. 12 had never done something like this in its entire history. A school recommendation was basically a guarantee that the student would get into the university of their choice. Therefore some students suspected that this unprecedented event happened because one of the contenders was the son of the vice-principal. But others thought differently because of Huo YeRui’s great achievements so far. He had achieved first place in both monthly tests so far, so it was normal for the school to consider him. After all, the student representative had never been surpassed by the same person twice. What’s more, Lin Qian’s results in the first monthly test was abysmal.

So for a time, there were plenty of rumors and talk going around.

Some students, being in the same class as Huo YeRui, took the opportunity to garner some information. Huo YeRui only said that he knew about it, and was a little embarrassed. He said: “Because of a recent audit of the student assessments, and the sudden change with the percieved results…our school has always looked to the student who gets first place in rankings. I just happened to get first place in the two monthly tests. Maybe the school also took this to consideration, so they added me….”

Some of the more curious students asked: “Then, between you and Ah Qian, who will get chosen in the end?”

“It hasn’t been decided yet, so I don’t know.” Huo YeRui made an innocent and unsuspecting expression. He ‘inadvertently’ let out some news: “But I heard that they’re focusing on the results. Lin Qian’s ranking these past two tests aren’t ideal and this might have a huge impact on his final assessment.”

Among the listeners were some of Lin Qian’s diehard loyal fans. One ‘tsked’ and said: “Only looking at his test results is too outrageous….the recommendation should’ve been his no question.” Then, suddenly realizing they said this in front of Huo YeRui, they hurriedly tried to backtrack. “But I don’t mean that Classmate Huo isn’t good! Classmate Huo did amazing this year…”

Huo YeRui showed great generosity and even acted self-deprecatingly: “No, it’s true. Honestly, I was also surprised that Lin Qian’s results ended up like this. Otherwise, how can I even be considered….”

Some students had mixed feelings about the situation.

“Huo YeRui’s getting pretty cocky. How can the school make an exception for him?”

“This can be called a kind of counter-attack….”

“Well, if they concentrate on just the results, then wouldn’t Huo YeRui be the winner…”

……

The students were full of envy and admiration. As they talked amongst themselves, they also felt regretful on behalf of Lin Qian.

Huo YeRui, who was in the middle of all this, enjoyed everyone’s praise. He had a modest smile on his face and spoke to the people around him occasionally.

Xu Yao looked at Huo YeRui who was surrounded by half the class. He looked like someone in the middle of a press conference. Xu Yao was so angry he couldn’t help but shake Lin Qian’s shoulder. “Ah, ah, how can this happen? The guaranteed quota is clearly only one person, how come the Principal said otherwise?”

Lin Qian gave him a look. “Don’t mess with the Principal. He hasn’t announced anything yet.”

Seeing Lin Qian so relaxed, Xu Yao felt even more nervous. He yelled: “Ah Qian, do you not know how serious this is?!”