Chapter 64 - Father Has Returned

“QingPing, come and open the door; I’ve forgotten my key again.”

In the early hours of the morning, Zheng PingQing was awakened by the incessant ringing of his phone. He got out of his bed all bleary-eyed and opened the door for Zheng BuLu. When he did so, Zheng BuLu immediately gave him a big hug. “Ah, my son has grown so tall.”

“Dad.” Zheng PingQing let out a huge yawn while looking somewhat dumbfounded. “How come you’re back so early?”

It was near the end of the lunar calendar, so most people would start making their way back home for the new year. But the very busy Zheng BuLu wasn’t like most people. His schedule usually meant that he was only allowed to go back home on new year’s eve. So seeing him come back days early made Zheng PingQing worry that something might’ve happened.

“Your mother called and urged your father to come back and accompany you a little earlier,” YuJin said as she stepped out of the car that was parked in the yard. She wasn’t the most beautiful woman, but her features were decent, and she had the elegance of a good wife and mother. Right now, she was wearing a simple wool dress and a down jacket. It made one feel peaceful.

At this point in time, she had been dating Zheng BuLu for around a year. They wouldn’t marry for several more years, but because the Zheng family had very few members, she would follow Zheng BuLu home during the Chinese New Year and celebrate with the father and son pair. She planned to go to her mother’s house on the second day of the new year’s celebrations. Naturally, to outsiders, her actions show an attitude of an acknowledged mistress.

He YiJun walked over with a smile. “A few days ago, your mother called Old Zheng and talked about spending more time with you since you’re already in your senior year and will be going to university next year. And you know how Old Zheng is. No matter how busy he is, he would never neglect you. As a matter of fact, after that phone call, Old Zheng immediately pushed back all his plans and came back today.”

He YiJun had said similar words many times in the past. Everyone had always felt that she was very dedicated to maintaining the harmonious relationship between father and son, and Zheng BuLu was not ignorant of this. Zheng PingQing had a fiery temper, and because of Zheng BuLu’s hectic work schedule, it was hard for the father to accompany his son. It was thanks to He YiJun’s care that they managed to reconcile and maintain such a harmonious relationship, helping ease a lot of Zheng BuLu’s worries.

Of course, in his past life, He YiJun’s words would also unwittingly deepen Zheng PingQing’s dissatisfaction towards Chen ShiYi. In this life, Zheng PingQing made sure not to disappoint her. With a cold snort, he said: “That woman isn’t even coming; what right does she have to pester other people?”

At this time, the young Zheng PingQing’s attitude towards Chen ShiYi was like this. Zheng BuLu helplessly scolded his son: “Why are you talking about your mother in this way?”

Zheng PingQing simply rolled his eyes, making Zheng BuLu speechless.

He YiJun’s expression didn’t change much as she tried to smooth things over. “I think PingQing just hasn’t seen his mother in a while. They’ve just become somewhat unaccustomed to each other, that’s all.”

Zheng BuLu sighed. “There’s nothing to be done. Shi Yi is just too busy.”

He himself was often too busy to spend time with his child, so naturally, it would be awkward if he were to criticize his ex-wife for her absence.

He YiJun slightly pursed her lips, then smiled once more. “I think I’ll take a break from the company after the holidays and spend some time with PingQing. He’s going to be taking the college entrance exams soon, so how about I just stay at home and take care of him during his last semster? Otherwise, he’ll be all alone at home since he doesn’t let you hire a full-time nanny. I’m worried about him.”