The Chairman & I

The Chairman & I

Now it was your turn to get into a dizzy. You watched Kiryu get taken away in handcuffs and your friends all did too in complete silence.

"Don't worry." Kiryu reassured whilst being escorted. "They've not announced a charge yet."

"Kazuma...what do I do?"

"Call Takeshi."

You frowned and followed. "Who's Takeshi?"

"His number is in my diary." He instructed. "You'll need to call him."

A huge crowd was now gathering outside the restaurant to watch the commotion. The Chairman was finally arrested and it was a sunny day with his girlfriend by his side in tears. The headlines practically wrote themselves. But you weren't really concerned about that right now.

"Kazuma." You began welling with tears, pulling his arm while the undercover officer led him by the other.

"Call Takeshi." Kiryu instructed again and sat in the backseat of the police car.

Not really knowing what to do and feeling a cold crawling through your body, your feet dragged you to a taxi and you were on the way with your hands shaking. You didn't actually know what to do and whether it was your fault but all these paranoid thoughts plagued your mind.

Kazuma's diary was on his dressing table by the picture of him and his daughter. You opened it and found various numbers. With trembling sweating hands you called Takeshi.

"Hello?" The familiar voice spoke.

You frowned, for it was the voice of Kiryu's aide. "It's you?"

"Y/N? What's wrong?"

"Kiryu's been arrested."

"Arrested? Where?"

You paced back and forth. "We went out after his meeting. An office came and arrested him. I'm not sure why."

"Ok. Where are you?"

"I'm at the apartment."

"I'm coming."

Within 10 minutes the door opened to reveal Takeshi, who was in fact Kiryu's aide, and another man. A man with a scar across his face and a deep frown. Almost like he was disgusted to see you and he was incredibly scary. You were sat on the sofa, head in hands feeling incredibly guilty. This man came and sat next to you, hand on your back. Oddly, he was consoling.

"It's okay, Y/N." His voice was so smooth and soft despite his look. "My name is Osamu Kashiwagi. I'm the captain of the Tojo."

"I didn't do anything wrong." You sighed.

"I know you didn't." Kashiwagi reassured. "You didn't have to. The thing is we need to find which police station he's being held at and the charges."

"So why would they just take him if there's no charge?" You fluttered in a tizzy.

"There's a whole range of reasons. My contact at the police station hasn't got in touch yet." Kashiwagi assured, hand on your back. "He's tough. He knows what he's doing."

"I don't doubt it."

"Let's tread slowly. I haven't told anyone yet. Only us 3 know. Let's keep it that way."

"Why so hush hush?"

"The chairman's seat is empty but not open." Kashiwagi warned.

You continued to hold your head in your hands.

Then a phone rang. It wasn't yours nor Takeshi's but Kashiwagi's. He answered it and you heard the one sided conversation. But it zoned out completely and the image of Kazuma in handcuffs being led away was replaying in front of you like a rolling picture which was faulty. Is there anything you could've done? No. There isn't.

The chimp paradox is a process whereby the human part of your brain and emotional part of your brain are treated as 2 separate entities. The human. And the chimp. The chimp can sometimes work as a separate entity.

So the chimp was causing you feelings of guilt. While the human part of your brain was logically reasoning with the fact that you couldn't actually do anything. It wasn't actually your fault. You had nothing to to with it.

But maybe you did? Getting him to talk to your friends about his chairmanship was probably what caused this.

But how could it? He would've been picked up a lot sooner if that was the case.

"Did you want to come and see him?" Kashiwagi asked.

You jumped at the chance.

Kazuma was being held in an overnight cell in a police station nearby. With his belongings seized, the officers were surprised to see him walking without a gun and merely his phone and cigarettes.

"Have you got the number for his lawyer?" Kashiwagi asked whilst sitting next to you in the backseat of the car.

"Yes, sir." Takeshi nodded.

When you all arrived at the police station you saw Kiryu sat in an overnight cell almost like an animal on display and a woman was standing in front of an officer. She had a large black folder in front of her, pointing her finger to the officer. Wearing a black shirt, white trousers, heels and red lipstick. Something she wore no matter what.

"Your officer just picked him up!" She shouted.

"We did? He's the chairman of the biggest criminal organisation. And someone's testified against him."

The lawyer crossed her arms. "Who?"

"Some kid in hospital with pretty fucked up injuries."

His lawyer frowned. "Where's the proof?"

"Well we need to take a statement."

"When are you going to do that?"

"As soon as my superior gets here."

She slammed her hand off the counter. "This isn't good enough!"

Ignoring the commotion, you went over to the cell and saw Kiryu who also saw you. He was sat on the floor with his back to the wall and stood up, walking over. Both of you separated by the bars.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" Kiryu looked behind you. "What is she doing here?" He thus proceeded to ask Takeshi.

"Captain Kashiwagi asked her if she wanted to come, chairman." Takeshi bowed.

"Why are you here?" You asked.

"I'll explain later."

Through the commotion you eventually got back to the apartment with the entourage. His lawyer was sat at the table along with Kashiwagi and Kiryu. You were also joining them. Kiryu was smoking a cigarette having taken off his suit jacket and rolled his sleeves up. Kashiwagi was also smoking while Kiryu's lawyer was flicking through papers with a small pair of pink glasses down low on her nose.

"Apparently a young man in hospital has talked when questioned by the police. He says you threw him out of a window with the intention of death."

Kiryu frowned. "He's not dead though."