Harm In Change

Harm In Change

You widened your eyes. You knew exactly what this was. Yun had gone to the police about being beaten by Kiryu.

"Why did you do that? Chairman?" His lawyer quizzed. "I don't doubt the fact that you did it because according to their statement copy he described you."

Kiryu stayed silent for what felt like ages. It echoed. And you prayed he didn't say the original reason. He didn't.

"I can't remember."

"Chairman you have to remember. You could be back in jail by tomorrow night." His lawyer advised.

Kiryu's frustration grew, he slammed himself away from the table and walked off to his balcony. Removing his shirt due to the heat and letting everyone see him bare. And seeing the dragon that sat on his back like a ton of bricks. At times you could've sworn you saw the eyes move and the tail slither. It was haunting the amount of times you'd seen the eyes glowing in your dreams. Sleeping next to such a large dragon didn't help, he often felt so tense carrying the weight of 35,000 people.

"It's your job to make sure I don't. I don't pay you for nothing." He finally & frustratedly sighed.

That also silenced everyone again. It kept everyone seated, apart from you. You got up and followed him as he smoked and leant over his balcony. Sliding the glass door shut behind you both which would also provide some privacy.

"What's wrong, Kazuma?"

"He's been talking. Clearly I should've torn his mouth off." He sighed in frustration whilst pinching the bridge of his nose.

You noticed his incredible frustration along with his sudden increase of anger. With your arm over his broad shoulder, you got in close and cosy.

"Do you want to take a bath and relax?"

So he did. Everyone left you both alone and you sat him down in a bath full of incredibly warm water. It wasn't clear, it had a pink colour with an amass of bubbles. It smelt of roses and tea tree salt. Just pure silence with no interruptions. Just you and the chairman. Sat in his overly large bath together with one wall containing a floor to ceiling window. You on one side and him on the other with his head thrown back & eyes closed.

Purely relaxed and incredibly weightless. He was immersed in the sound of absolutely nothing. You'd forced him to leave his phone in another room. In his hand, which hung off the edge, he held a glass of whisky with a round ice cube that melted by the second with his hand warmth.

When he opened his eyes again he didn't see you in front of him, he saw Nishiki.And they were both sat in a ramen restaurant with large bowls in front of them and the table littered with beer bottles. It was empty with only the news report playing behind them. Nishiki was smoking a cigarette and the time on Kiryu's wristwatch read 12:45 am. The two sworn brothers were enjoying a wholesome moment together.

"You're fucking up this whole chairman thing aren't you, bro?" Nishiki asked with his mischievous grin. Running his fingers through his shoulder length hair. "I thought you'd have another suit by now."

"What do you mean?" Kiryu frowned.

"You're wild, bro." Nishiki only laughed. "Tell me, how's it managing so many people?"

Kiryu went to light his cigarette but Nishiki did it for him, paying the proper respects to the chairman. Even back in a small ramen shop sitting amongst Kamurocho. 1988. Even though at this point in time they were just file & rank boys.

"It's fine. It's never been my thing. But it's being done."

"I see you've finally settled down and got a girlfriend." Nishiki sniggered. "Hope you're not fucking that up."

"Yeah, yeah." Kiryu dismissed.

"Hey, I heard Y/N is Sera's daughter. How did you manage to get that one?"

"I didn't know." Kiryu admitted honestly. "I haven't told her yet."

"She has a right to know, Kiryu. Wouldn't you want to know who your parents are?"

"Maybe...but it doesn't phase me. Maybe I wasn't supposed to know."

"Hey..." Nishiki quietly cut. "I know Shindo's been fucking around." He sighed. "I'm sorry, bro. I'm not there to stop it."

In this moment Kiryu felt out of his own body. Like he was watching himself from another point of view. Almost sitting on a table adjacent to where he was sat with Nishiki. They often talked about going all night and not stopping but Kiryu gave in at around this time.

"Sorry? You can't control the actions of others." Kiryu explained.

"I'm shocked you haven't taught him a lesson yet."

"Because he represents your family."

"I also heard that you're having a child soon."

Kiryu frowned. "I don't have any children apart from Haruka."

"Oh?" Nishiki frowned. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"How long have you both been together?"

Kiryu thought about it.

Nishiki smiled with sympathy, standing up and stretching his limber body. "You always were a little bit slow."

"Slow? With what, Nishiki?"

"You can't have a child as the chairman."

"Why not?"

"It's not just about you, bro."

"Kazuma?" You asked and Kiryu's eyes opened.

Back exactly where you'd left him. In his bath, a drink slipping through his fingers. On his face lay a nice layer of sweat from the time he'd spent soaking, his hair completely wet and his entire body language now suddenly convulsed. As if he'd been sunken into a nightmare.

Looking around Kiryu saw his surroundings and sank again.

"Are you okay?" You gently asked.

He nodded. But that night Kiryu sat on the edge of the bed with his boxers on. The coloured neon signs high in the city were cutting through the room. Kiryu ran his hand down his face and sighed deeply through his nose causing his shoulders to tense.

Realistically having a child in his position was delicate anyway as Haruka was consistently in danger. Hence why she was sent where nobody knew with people Kiryu trusted more than his life. But having a child now...was a bit different. If something happened to you, then what? And what kind of mother would you be? What kind of father would Kiryu be? To a newborn.

Alas, it was just a figment of his imagination no doubt. Kiryu decided to brush it away like a stray hair out of place. Wholly focusing on what was around him at that very moment rather than anything else. Easier said than done.

You woke up that night feeling sick and spent a lot of it huddle against the sink in the bathroom.