The Forger

The Forger

Driving to Kamurocho, Kiryu was told to look out for the basic black car with black tinted windows. It would be parked on pink street and waiting at 3:30. So Kiryu parked a few streets away and walked over very quickly.

A knock on the window and Kiryu opened the door, sitting in the back seat next to a man. The leather inside was cream and incredibly soft, like butter. Sitting on it felt good. Next to him was a man wearing a black fedora and a black suit. Enjoying the brim of the slow jazz music playing in the car as the driver proceeded to get out and close the door.

"Good afternoon, chairman." The man bowed gently. "I'm grateful you could see me. Sorry, it's not my usual set up."

"I guess your eyes need to be everywhere. Why are you parked here?" Kiryu frowned, looking out of the window and seeing everyone pass by bur nobody could see inside the car.

"You see, after this meeting I was going to that restaurant. They have delicious food." The man pointed across the street to a very expensive dining establishment which had very rich people dining inside. "I knew my meeting with you would work me an appetite."

This man was a well known forger within families. He often worked with the well known families and had previously worked with the Dojima family many years ago to pull of a passport forgery deal which went sour. He was in his mid 60's now and growing increasingly older but still enjoyed the simplicities of life. With wrinkles around his eyes and a clean shaven face, nobody really knew anything about his background. Or even what his name was.

"Anyway." The forger turned to Kiryu, looking at the earring in his right ear. The small diamond stud. Then looking at the ring on Kiryu's pinky which he was playing with. "What can I do for you then, chairman?"

"I need a passport."

"Just one?"

"Yeah." Kiryu nodded.

"Why just one? Normally your boys come in asking for 4/5. This is the first time you've come to me for this."

Kiryu swallowed a lump in his throat proceeding to sigh through his nose. "I figured it would be easier if I saw you myself."

"Who for?"

Kiryu handed The Forger a small envelope which he opened to reveal passport photos of you. 4 small pictures. Coloured pictures. Your hair was in a pony and you just wore small make up.

"Who's this?" The forger chirped in a very light tone. "She's very pretty."

"Someone I know."

"A girlfriend? A lover? A mistress?"

"No. None of those."

"It's surprising that such a pretty girl has come to you asking for this. Women always flaunt your name around."

"She hasn't asked me for this."

"So it's someone you're trying to sell away?"

"We don't deal in human trafficking anymore." Kiryu twisted his pinky ring.

"The Omi alliance still does."

"I'm carrying enough sins on my head." Kiryu mumbled under his breath. "Can you do it or not? I want it done by next Monday."

"Oh, chairman. These things take time." The forger tried to explain away with his hands. "You can't rush it if you want the job done right. The printing, the detailing, the numbers..is she Japanese?"

"Yes."

"Then it'll take longer."

"I don't have much time." Kiryu bargained. "I've gone out of my way to see you myself. I'm a busy man just like you are."

"I understand, sir." The forger agreed. "I'm honoured. Truly. I've worked with the Tojo for many years."

"Then I'm sure you'll make good of your experience and show me how quickly you can get the job done, sir." Kiryu handed the forger a brief case with both hands. "Here's your money."

"But you don't know my asking price?"

"6 million should be about it, right sir?"

"That's a lot higher than what it actually is, chairman. Also, I take half now and the rest when the work is done."

"Take it all now, I know you'll get the job done right. And it'll cover your bill at the restaurant." Kiryu finalised. "I've heard the beef toban yaki is the thing to try there."

"Why, sir?"

"I don't know. Apparently the chef says it's nice."

"Do you know the chef, chairman?"

Kiryu smirked. "He's a very good personal friend of mine." Indirectly stating that the chef also cooks for Kiryu in his apartment.

"I see. I'll mention your name when I go in."

"See you next week."

Negotiations only lasted a measly 15 minutes. The next stop off was the sonogram clinic where you were waited for him so you could both see your child. It was your midwife who'd perform it for you and was so excited to finally meet the father of the baby. Very often she bonded with her mothers and developed such a deep connection to the babies once they were born.

On the small screen in the dark enclosed room you both saw a small blip. A tiny, little dot. Which was barely formed due to how early it was in the pregnancy but it was still there nonetheless.

Kiryu absolutely knew that his decision was the right one despite how uneasy he felt. He saw how happy you were and how excited you were to watch your child get bigger. There was no room for mistakes, 2nd guesses or fuck ups. Thankfully nobody could hear how his mind was ticking.

"I'm so happy." You sighed, staring at the ultrasound.

"It's very small. Like a jelly bean." Your midwife laughed. "Your husband is very tall. So your baby will be too."

"Oh dear." Your face dropped as you looked at Kiryu from the bed.

He only had a gentle smirk on his lips. "Who knows? It might be a baby girl."

"What do you want?" You asked referring to the gender.

"A healthy baby." Kiryu stroked your hair. "And a healthy delivery. That's all."

You grinned.

The midwife cleaned your tummy and then sat you both down, proceeding to ask Kiryu questions.

"Do you smoke, Kazuma-san?" She asked, pushing her glasses up and holding her pencil to the red book.

"Yes."

"How many?"

"2 on a good day, 9 on a bad."

"Do you drink?"

"Yeah."

"How much?"

Kiryu thought about it. "1-4 drinks a night."

"Spirits?"

"Yeah."

"And what's your blood type?"

"AB."

"Same as Y/N." She smiled. "Do you have any illnesses?"

"No."

"How old are you?"

"37."

"What's your occupation?"

"I'm the chairman of a company."