Heal (Moiraine Sedai)

It burned. Oh, Light, it burned. Like fire. Had you been placed on a pyre? You remembered the Questioner, that awful man. He had gotten so close. You'd nearly broken. Two more seconds and you were sure you'd have burst into flames on the spot. You still burned. It unmade you, reducing you to basic brain function. Most of it was devoted to 'stop' 'Light, please' and 'kill me'. You were so tired, so resigned, so defeated as the flames overtook you.

You'd heard the Questioner had burned Aes Sedai at the stake, but you were no Aes Sedai. You were only just a Wisdom. You had no power, besides predicting weather. You were no one.

'Kill me' played over and over in your mind as the burn overtook you. You grunted with the force of a large wave which eventually melted into a pathetic whimper.

The darkness in your eyes parted long enough for you to spot a blur of blue moving in front of you. You started, trying to move away. You'd much prefer to die in peace. So, you weren't tied down, and somehow the flames had been tempered.

"It's alright," came a quick assurance. It was a woman's voice, not that that would change anything.

You dug your heels into whatever was beneath you and pushed away again. A soft touch on your arm brought you from your reverie. As much as you wanted to jerk away, you were so tired. Pain gave way to exhaustion and your eyes barely managed to part a bit more before you shifted away from the touch. Your mantra was the only thought you limited mind could slip over your lips.

A sympathetic sound was made by your ear and a touch to your hair calmed you enough for the darkness to win. Just for now.

*~*

The world came back much softer than before and the flames were gone. Your vision blinked in as the darkness parted with your eyelids. You mumbled paranoidly, moving your head to straighten. You looked up into a light blue sky and frowned, sitting up.

"Oh!"

You ignored the cry of surprise and moved to stand.

"Alright, stop that now." A hand landed on your shoulder, startling you. A face came into view and it was a nice face.

Frowning at the unfamiliar guest (was she a guest if you were both in the woods), you leaned away, trying to escape her grasp. You weren't exactly in a friendly mood after your 'meeting' with the Whitecloaks. And who could blame you.

But this woman was stronger. "Stop," came the firm demand. She pulled you closer, holding your face to look her in the eye. They were a strange blue green combination, swirling in a way which could keep you entertained for hours.

But you didn't have hours. You had to move now. They couldn't be far and you need more distance, more time, more security. Stubbornly, you took her hands and pulled them from your face, bringing your foot beneath your behind to stand. Before you could retract, though, you saw the blue stone surrounded by golden metal. A snake wrapping the same color stone as her clothes.

Aes Sedai.

Gasping, you used your leg to push you back, away, dropping her hands. You scrambled backwards on your hands and feet, trying to escape the newly perceived threat.

"No- Ma- Stop!" came the urgent shout after several false starts. She followed closely before managing to pin you to the ground, using her body. She held your struggling arms, speaking over your desperate whimpers. "You were injured. I've healed you as best I can for now. But you have to stop moving, or you'll get worse. I won't hurt you!" she shouted when you weren't listening.

You froze. You knew about Aes Sedai. As a Wisdom of the Two Rivers, you knew about most things. They couldn't lie. It was a part of their oaths to end some siege on their Tower. Huffing short breaths, you stopped fighting yet still did not feel comfort at her presence. Aes Sedai were wild cards. Limited killing, no lying, no making weapons. For witches who could make lightning and fireballs, natural disasters and more, that didn't mean much. "Whitecloaks," you managed to croak out.

She smiled, and that was nice too. "Long gone."

You sighed and relaxed into the ground. If she said she would not hurt you, you had little choice but to believe her. You honestly weren't feeling your best and adrenaline from the memory of the trauma was fading fast. Breathing out another sigh, you shifted with a grimace and pulled a rock from beneath you.

The Sedai laughed. "I did have you somewhere safe, comfortable." She was gloating and you laughed faintly.

"Okay," you whispered. Holding up your pointer finger, you emphasized, "But I'll be moving again by the next sunset. On my own."

Smiling down, she looked up at you coyly. "I could escort you home." You said nothing and she sighed. Inside the Tower or out, no one trusted an Aes Sedai.