Once Upon a December (Alma Peregrine)

Fairy tales were about a certain type of woman put through unnecessary trauma. They were often pale with dark and beautiful hair, red lips, shining eyes. The perfect woman of the time of fairy tales. This is why you were called his little Fairy.

Your dark hair laid at your hips at all times. Your skin was pale nigh to the point of death. Your skin clung to you in an unhealthy way, jutting out your bones sharply. Your eyes seemed to glow like mirrors at night. It terrified anyone who saw it. During the day, though, they sparkled as if the stars lay within them.

You were the stuff of fairy tales, inherently popular at school purely based on your looks. But, if it kept the Normals off your back, you didn't mind.

You were mind-numbingly bored at having to sit through classes you'd sat through a dozen times to be perceived as normal. Time went on, history was lost, made into fairy tales, and everyone was so certain they were right. It annoyed the crap out of you. Not that you could claim to be the keeper of knowledge. Many things were left outside your purview.

Other peculiars, for one. You'd met a few through the years, though resided in no Loops for any length of time beyond one day. Your own past, for another. You didn't age, held the energy to resurrect the dead in your body, and the weight of it made you into this sickly thing which sat in that class. But every gift has its drawbacks. Any memories pas the previous 50 years were wiped clean. You didn't remember any of your birth family, and nothing before Abe.

The final bell of the day rang and you burst from your seat, trapped in the same hormonal urge to escape that 8 hour prison as the rest of your classmates. You all oozed from the school, masses of children making you shudder.

You knew about the monsters which hunter your kind. That's why you were in school. As far as you were concerned in the public eye, you were normal. You had nothing unique about you. Nothing to have you stand out to the Hollows and Wights which sought you out as the key to their ascent to power.

And just like an ordinary 18 year old just released for summer vacation, you did not take the bus home. You walked. You took in the sun, you reveled in your release from childhood. Even though it was directly ahead of the worst part of your routine. You could only be a grown up for a few years, three at a push. But you didn't age. You'd have to transfer sides of the family again, ages, start over school, the whole nine.

One bus trip and then another took you to the bus stop on the corner of Palm and Bahia Circle. You walked down to the end of the cul-d-sac and found your best friend's house. Abe was officially known as your grandfather, you lived with his daughter, son-in-law, and their twins. They adopted you, under a false name, at Abe's insistence. But you were always close with him, travelling when he did because no one could keep you apart. It almost pissed off the adults until he started getting worse and you were the only one to regularly take care of him.

Well, besides Jake on occasion. The boy couldn't drive and he was very easily tied up with the family. They even kept him from his peculiarity, though Abe was more than okay with that.

Knocking on your "grandfather's" door, said teenage boy appeared on the other side as he opened it. The boy smiled at you. "Hey, Y/N," he greeted with as much enthusiasm as you expected.

You smiled back, genuinely thrilled to see another peculiar, even if he was ignorant of his gift. "Good afternoon, Jacob," you responded before slipping past him.

Abe sat on his couch, only the television on as entertainment. He brightened at having you both at the same time. It happened so rarely anymore. The three of you used to be thicker than thieves when Jacob was younger and you were Franklin's little sister, Emmaline.