Good Night (Buffy Summers)

You loved Buffy. You knew she scared easy when it came to love. You knew baring her soul to you was hard work. You know she couldn't be the loving, stay at home (safe!) type. But sometimes, and as horrible as this was it was true, you wished... - dangerous words - but you wished that that beautiful blonde Slayer could... just be.

You knew moments of silence were rare. I mean, saving the world on the regular and all. But you just wished. Because here you were, in her childhood bed, alone.

The air was cold. It bit with a bitterness you felt in your heart. It was just the tiniest margin of acid eating at you, but it bit. You tried to breathe easy. Buffy could take care of herself.

But that wasn't why you couldn't breathe. The weight of her, you could take. You could hold Buffy and let her heal with you. You could let her go off into battle. You could back her up anyway she needed and it only brought the two of you closer. But, here, now, alone with your thoughts. You drowned. She was everything. And you were nothing. She was Chosen. You were Settled. Buffy could do better. She would if Angel became human. You could be dropped in a second, and you had been.

Buffy was gone. And you were alone.

At least you were together in that, right?

Nightly patrol ended and a warm, adrenaline fueled body returned to your arms. She tucked herself in and you pulled her close. Dark thoughts faded from you mind at her presence.

"Good night," you whispered into the dark, drifting instantly at the peace the Slayer brought you.

"I love you," Buffy whispered back into the dark, to your sleeping form.