22

FLASHBACK****

It was the another cold gloomy night for the Santiago family.  Little Ivy had been suffering from the high fever and her older brothers were busy taking care of her.

"Is champ gonna be ok?" A 7 year old Alessio mumbled in a sleepy, worried tone.

"Yes. She will be alright. Why don't you rest for some time?" Valentino asked while again checking Ivy's temperature.

"I am fine." Alessio sighed lightly. He glanced at Denver who finally fell asleep near Ivy's feet. It was late midnight already.

"Why are mom and dad not here yet with our new babysister?" A soft smile fell over Valentino's lips upon the mention of their new babysister. Yesterday, early morning, Elena gave birth to Haley. The brothers didn't went to see them because Ivy was sick and they needed to be here with her. But they sure did spent two hours video calling them.

Now Valentino too suddenly realized that they should have been home earlier two hours ago when Denver called his father asking him when they will be coming back. But still there was no sign of them.

Suddenly Eliza and Micah appeared on the doorway. They looked quite concerned about something other than Ivy's health.

"The Godfather has been attacked. We heard the guards talking outside." Micah informed hurriedly. Valentino's eyes widened. Denver woke up abruptly hearing this.

"What? Are mom and Haley with him?" Valentino asked while getting up from Ivy's bed.

"We don't know." At this, Valentino pulled his phone out but before he could call his father, there was a loud bang downstairs.

"Stay here." Valentino said loudly to his siblings loudly and locked the door. Eliza and Micah followed him downstairs.

His eyes widened and he froze at the middle of staircase. The scene in front of him made his throat clog and his heart shudder.

Near on the front door was Elena screaming and sobbing loudly. She was breaking down badly in front of Lucifer who with bloodshot eyes was standing near behind her like some brick with a cold stoned face.

"I-it is y-y-your f-fault...m-my d-daughter is dead....I-I h-h-hate you. I-I f-fucking hate y-you." Elena wailed loudly while clutching the pieces of her broken heart.

****************

Lucifer jerks awake from this nightmare when he feels soft hands over his cheeks. He looks down at Ivy who's crouching down in front of him. She's staring at him with a worried expression.

A tear slips down his eye that Ivy hesitantly wipes away.

"I am sorry..." Ivy watches with furrowed brows when he takes her palm off his cheek and places it over his lips. He gives it a small kiss as more tears rolls down his face.

Ivy was confused and surprised but mostly she's feeling hurt after seeing him breaking down silently like this. She have always heard that Mr. Lucifer Santiago is a cold hearted man. He was famous for his dead emotionless facade but what Ivy was seeing now was totally different from every claim and rumor.

"Mr. Lucifer. Do you want to talk about this?" Ivy didn't even noticed when she actually said this.

"I miss someone who is dear to my heart." Her eyes widens. She wasn't exactly expecting a response from him. Usually he pushes her away.

"Oh." Ivy mumbles.

"Can I umm ask where that person is?" Ivy again expected for him to yell or push her away but he didn't.

"T-they are no more." His voice trembles. Ivy frowns. She grabs his hand in both of her hands.

"Mr. Lucifer. There is nothing wrong in crying. Just so you know that they are always watching over you although you may not see. They know that this time apart is hard and they know that you miss them. They are with you every day and through the darkest, thunderous nights. Their soul lives on beyond the veil but they are just gone from sight."

A small smile come across Lucifer's lips as he silently listens to her words.

"Can I ask you something?" He asks gently.

"Yes anything, mr. Lucifer."

"Don't you miss your family? Don't you want to know about them? Don't you feel angry that they left you? Don't you hate them?" Ivy's smile faltered a bit but she clears her throat.

"I do miss them. I want to know about them too. But sometimes what we wish can't really happen. Yeah, sometimes I feel a little angry but I don't hate them nor I can stay mad at them for long. Because I think that they must have their own reasons and I am no-one to judge that person whom I never know." Lucifer's heart clenches at her words.

Ivy was a little startled when she was suddenly pulled in a warm embrace. She wraps her trembling arms around him. For some reason, she feels safe and there's an unfamiliar feeling tugging her heart.

"I w-want to say something." He croaks out.

"Yes mr. Lucifer." She says.

"Forgive me, my little star."

Get early access to the completed book on Patreon. Link's in my profile....🧡