51

Eliza was driving them back home with his permanent scowl displayed on his face. Matthew and Ivy were silent during the whole ride.

The sound of Eliza's phone ringing gained their attention. Ivy stared as suddenly Eliza frowned as he talked with the person.

He cursed under his breath and suddenly reversed the car.

"What's the matter?" Ivy asked confused at his sudden change of behaviour.

He didn't reply but speeded up in the opposite direction of the mansion. Ivy frowned.

"Eliza! You are scaring me."

"Keep quiet for a minute. Will you Ivy?" Ivy's mouth gaped at his blunt response.

Matthew grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Ivy looked back at him with a worried expression implanted on her face.

The car finally stopped in front of the private hospital of Santiago family. Her heart dropped and she hastily followed Eliza out. Matthew followed her lead.

She was growing pale with each second in fear and Matthew was trying his best to comfort her by holding her hand.

"Tony! What's the matter?" Ivy exclaimed as soon her eyes fell on Valentino who was standing at the reception along with Vikram.

"Ivy..." He sighed and handed some documents to Vikram before making his way towards her.

He stopped in front of her and placed his hands on her shoulders. He stared at her face for a moment.

"Why are you looking at me like this, Tony? You are scaring me." She whispered.

"Ivy...You might want to sit down first." He patted her shoulders before leading her towards the chairs.

He called for one of the nurse to bring a glass of water for her and proceeded to grab her hands in his.

"Now listen to me...."

As he finished speaking, Ivy's eyes were wide and she was sitting there looking stunned.

Valentino felt her hands getting colder with each second passing. It worried him greatly. It was the another reason why was he so scared to break this news in front of her.

His heart broke as a lone tear rolled down her cheek.

"I know this hurts you but you gotta have to be strong for father." He squeezed her hands watching more tears fell down her eyes.

"T-t-this is u-unfair." She stuttered as her bottom lip quivered.

"W-why m-m-must h-he l-lie to m-me? T-this is w-wrong. I d-d-didn't e-even g-get to s-spend t-time w-w-with him..." with these words, she broke down in sobs completely.

*************

Ivy was trembling. Her tears just couldn't stop. The doctors had informed them that the poison had spread fastly.

She couldn't bear to handle that her father only have few minutes left.

Her brothers had already met him one last time but Ivy couldn't find the strength to get up from the chair. Matthew was sitting beside her, with his arm wrapped around her shoulder.

She had her head down with her arms wrapped around her head.

"Ivy." She looked up slowly to find Alessio standing in front of her.

"He's waiting for you." He ruffled her hair gently.

Ivy let the last of tears flow down her eyes before hastily wiping them away. She cleared her throat and sniffled before straightening herself.

She passed Valentino who just came out from the room. Her trembling hand hesitantly moved up to, twist the cold door knob. The door was pushed open.

Ivy regretted the second she entered in the room. Her father was laying on the bed, his chest barely rising up to breathe with difficulty. He looked pale, thin and weak.

How did she missed it?

Ivy asked herself, her thoughts mingling together. She was a bad daughter.

She approached him. Her heart filled with incredible pain. She slowly took a seat on the stool beside his bed and slowly took his hand in hers.

His eyes slowly opened and his lips curved up into a faint, almost unnoticeable smile.

"You know you are so bad, dad." Ivy complained in a weak tone.

"I regret living my dream in these past 5 years. I should have been here with you." She whispered.

She was looking away from him but she slowly glanced at him as she felt his other hand touching her face.

"W-what done is done Ivy." He said weakly. His voice was so weak and small.

"I d-don't have much time l-left." He choked, falling into a coughing fit. Ivy's eyes easily filled with tears again.

"J-just h-hear me o-out. Y-your brothers and s-stepbrothers care about y-you deeply. T-they will a-always keep you h-happy. T-that b-boy Matthew, h-he's a n-nice b-boy. H-he loves y-you, I-I can s-see it. Y-you made a g-good choice. I-I a-approve." He chuckled dryly.

Ivy was again in tears, trying to stifle down her sobs. She could only just stare at her father as he took his last breaths.

"I-I m-may n-n-not be p-present w-with you p-physically. B-but my s-spirit w-will always b-be h-here, with my s-sons and d-daughter, t-to w-watch over y-you a-all and p-protect y-you. A-and i-in l-last. T-thank y-you for m-making me t-the h-happiest man o-on this p-planet. T-thank you f-for b-being my d-d-daughter, m-my little s-sta----" His words remained uncompleted, as his hand in between hers turned fully motionless.

She squeezed his hand and let it rest on his side. She stood up from the stool and leaned up to close his eyes with her shaky hands. A small cry bubbled in her throat as she leaned down to kiss his forehead.