39

While returning from the shopping trip, Ivy could not hold the question that was playing at the tip of her tongue.

"Why are you being nice to me?" Elena freezes.

"Umm what type of question is this?" She tries to avert the topic but something Ivy has already inherited from her father and brothers now- a little stubbornness.

"Where was this niceness gone when you left me at the orphanage, ripped me away from my father and brothers and tried to kill me?"

There wasn't going back. Elena had committed many sins and she should take blame of it.

Elena sighs.

"Leave this topic already Ivy. You are just a kid."

"I am not! You yourself are trying to set me up with someone. I am far away from being a kid."

Ivy waits the whole ride but Elena never responds. They finally arrives at mansion. Sighing in frustration, Ivy is about to get out but her body freezes when Elena starts to speak.

"You are my child. I would never want to pain you. It will kill me before I plot something against you and your brothers. My hatred was fixed on Lucifer and only Lucifer for being weak at that certain point. Your sister, Haley, would have been alive today if he hadn't shown weakness. I'd made him promise me to choose our children before me. But he broke his promise that day and let your little sister die." Intense sadness darkens under her gaze.

"I took you away from him to punish him because you are the one of the most closest thing attached to his heart. I didn't want you to get hurt in between the families war. Seth was not really a good man. He could have hurt you in the past just to get revenge from Lucifer if I kept you here with us at that time. Seth's hatred and jealously was far above from my hate. I didn't want him to use you for his own sick motives that's why I left you in the orphanage under Greta's care. She was my mother's friend and one of the person I could openly trust. I created your fake-death to make everyone's attention avert from you but that necklace I gave you, gave away every thing to your father and brothers.." Her fists clenches around the steering wheel as tears clouds in her eyes.

"After you met your brothers and father, I knew that the truth was going to come out soon but somehow Seth also got to know about this...He was furious because I hid this truth from him. I warned him to not to hurt you but he managed to brainwash me for few minutes by telling me that this is the perfect opportunity to break Lucifer again. He assured me that he won't kill you but he just wanted to alarm Lucifer for a little fun. That's why that man hurt you that day." She chokes.

"But everything we planned only made you get closer to your father and brothers. I hated it. I was jealous when I saw you getting along with them so well. That longing feeling I buried in the depth of my heart came back at full force. I longed for those moments when you called me mama, when you loved me equally like them." Tears falls down her eyes.

"You know during these years, I truly fell in love with Seth. I was torn apart at the thought if I needed to choose between you and your stepbrothers because they become close to my heart too. That's when I started to realize what Lucifer must be thinking when we were attacked years ago. It really tear someone's heart when they would need to choose between their loved ones. It was the worst punishment. Then I really understand why he wasn't fast enough in saving Haley." She furiously wipes her tears but more keeps falling.

"That court drama was the pathetic excuse to get close to you for some time. I was surprised when Seth supported me completely. I thought that Lucifer would never allow me any 10 miles distance near you but he proved me wrong by his kindness. I was stunned hell even Seth was shocked too because Lucifer simply agreed to let me spend time with you even if it was for 3 days every month and I know this will only continue until you turn 18 and then you may not even consider about even seeing my face but I wanted to cherish these moments." She giggles but this issn't a amused or snarky giggle.

"That marriage thing was also another drama of mine. I missed you and I just wanted to see you and your brothers. I know that they hate me too and I totally deserve it but I couldn't stop myself from approaching them again and again. Sinister supported me completely in my rash decisions. Though he never liked them and personally hated them but he considers me as his mother after Marui, his late mother. Same with Vikram. Cade follows his older brothers everytime and twins decided to do this because they were being bored. Atleast this all is fun. But now I can see that Hayden and Jayden actually are starting to like you." She smiles. Her tears finally ceases.

Twins likes her? Unbelievable!

"This is the other reason why your brothers and stepbrothers are getting along with each other a little." She suddenly says.

Ivy's jaw drops.

"W-what?"

Elena chuckles.

"They are trying to end those who tried to harm you. For you they are trying to bear each others presence."

"But why would someone want to hurt me?" Ivy asks confused.

"Because you are the only thread between our families that would knot both of them together. You could be the reason that would end the cold wars between them and make them one again." Elena explaines.

Ivy tries to adjust this information the best she could do.

"Who are these enemies?"

"The one who thinks they are in danger if 'Santiago' and 'Lombardi' families become allies again. These enemies include my brothers too who once cut ties with me and Lucifer. But don't worry I believe that we are enough for your protection. 'We' means your father and brothers and my family." Smiling Elena ruffles Ivy's hair.

"I guess then." Ivy mumbles while gently swatting her mother's hand away.

"Eh. Look at you how cute you look when pouting, little peanut." Elena giggles while pinching Ivy's cheeks.

"Excuse me but I don't pout." Ivy backs away, resisting her mother's adoration filled touches and teases but a small smile remains playing on her lips.