Blood Is Not Thicker Than Water

It was early. 4:30 am early. But I couldn't sleep after my diagnosis and Cissy couldn't sleep without me so we were both awake. I had been upstairs on the balcony while Cissa was downstairs in the library curled up in the armchair by the fire. Demetria had stayed with me, knowing I was in distress and needed her comforting presence. But as I bolted downstairs, she scampered after as me, thrilled to see mummy Cissa who would give her affectionate cuddles.

"Do you love me?"

Without looking up from the daily prophet in her hands, Narcissa replied with an "of course I love you darling."

I couldn't stop my tears. The flood gate was open now and I was completely powerless to stop them.

"Do you promise?" I asked again, trying to hide the tears laced in my voice. Demi cocked her fluffy head at me and brushed up against my legs.

Hearing the change in my voice, Narcissa looked up and saw my state, immediately rushing over to me, causing the fox to leap out of the way and curl up by the fire to fall asleep.

"Bumblebee? What kind of questions are these? Of course I love you. I love you with all my heart! I promise." She said gently, taking my hands in hers as I averted her gaze.

I didn't say anything, trying not to make any sound. I didn't want to break down in front of my wife this early in the morning.

"Darling... look at me."

I shook my head, keeping my eyes firmly shut, head tilted towards the ground.

"Please?" She whispered, cupping my cheek.

Despite my head telling me otherwise, I did as she asked and immediately broke down.

"Oh baby..." Narcissa said sadly, pulling me into her arms, leading me to the couch where she pulled me to lay on-top of her as I cried.

"S-sorry C-cissa..." I choked.

"Hush now. None of that." She replied, holding me tight, doing the little things I enjoyed that brought me immense comfort.

I began to relax as I felt safe again, nuzzled in my witch's arms.

"Shhh. I've got you love. I'm here. I'm right here. I love you bumblebee. I love you so much." She cooed as I calmed down.

We laid in silence for a few moments before she finally spoke.

"Whats brought this on dear?"

I took a deep breath, settling on my response before actually saying it outloud.

"I... Sometimes I forget I'm loved by someone so deeply. By someone who doesn't expect me to be strong all the time. By someone who gives me the love I desperately crave. I just... sometimes I think its too good to be true."

She squeezed me a bit tighter.

"Its not too good to be true Eda. You're so easy to love. I know your parents messed you up, but you are worthy of love. And I will give you all my love. Until my dying breath." Narcissa said, reassuringly.

"And I you."

"Did you hear from your mum? Is that why you're feeling so low?" Cissy asked gently.