✨How You Get The Girl pt.1✨

Chapter 1:
The Return to Hogwarts

Professor Albrecht let out a deep breath as she stepped out of the fireplace in her office. Sirius had been wrong, she had absolutely needed to return to Hogwarts this year. She already felt more at peace being back at the castle than she had these last few weeks in her home. She felt untouchable here. Hogwarts was a safe haven for her and so many others, be it teachers and faculty or students. Dumbledore has always said "Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."  She didn't outwardly ask for help, but she needed it and she knew that somehow, the castle understood her unspoken words.

She set her trunk down next to the fireplace and walked around her classroom, studying every detail. She wanted to make sure it was just as she left it back in June. Everything remained the same. Her bookshelf was still decorated with unique crystals and sea shells she had found over the years. The David Bowie poster still hung on the wall near her desk on the left, with a Queen poster on the right.The enchanted record player Remus had given her a few years back had a thin layer of dust over it showing time had passed.shaking her head slightly, she waved her wand to vanish away the dust making it ready for use. The students' desks were still arranged the way she liked, and the back wall she had her polaroids on were still hung up the same way they were before. She breathed a sigh of relief seeing that nothing had invaded her space over the holiday and moved to her record player, selecting Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album. The room was soon filled with the sound of Dreams, as she selected that one first. Edaline let Stevie Nicks voice flood her mind with warmth and familiarity before moving to set up her classroom for the following morning. She was halfway through when there was a knock at her door.

"Come in." she called, not bothering to turn away from what she was doing.

"Setting up for tomorrow I see. How are you my dear?"

Edaline turned around at the sound of McGonagall's voice and moved to give the witch a hug. It was a big step for the young professor. She hadn't hugged or let anyone hug her since before the incident, but the familiarity of her "auntie's" arms made her relax.

"I missed you auntie." Edaline said.

"I missed you too me bairn," the older witch replied. "I was hoping to talk with you about the upcoming year."

She pulled back from the professor giving her a confused look.

"Alright, come sit." She said, led the professor to the couch and chair in her quarters.

When they sat down, she thought back to the conversation the two had had over the summer holidays. While she was excited to start the new year, she was not looking forward to dealing with the Malfoys. As unfortunate summers go, She hadn't had great luck. Lucius Malfoy, in all his LOreal hair shampoo model glory, had hexed her at the world cup. Though she would take that anyday over what had happened this summer. Still, She was eager to teach again this year.

Flashback:

"Let me get this straight Auntie." Eda said, furrowing her eyebrows as she felt a headache forming between her eyes.

She had been asked to tea by her surrogate Godmother and fellow professor, Minerva McGonagall to discuss the upcoming school year. As much as she adored her chats with her auntie, this was a lot to take in.

Minerva raised a brow at her "niece", taking a sip of her tea. She had expected Edaline to have reservations but nevertheless, she waited patiently.

"Albus has convinced the board to add an intro to alchemy class this year for seven students to take, and I have to teach Lucius Malfoy's son?! The man who hexed me at the Quitich world cup last year? Am I correct" she asked, groaning.

"Yes dear. That is correct. But you're the best alchemist in Britain. I know you will do a wonderful job. Who knows, maybe you can knock some sense into that boy." Minnie said with a slight smirk.

Eda snorted and summoned a bottle of fire whiskey.

"Yeah sure Auntie, I'm definitely the one to realign Dracos values." She said, popping the cap off and taking a swig from the glass bottle.

Minerva rolled her eyes.

End of Flashback:

Edaline sat across from her auntie on the couch waiting for her to elaborate on the discussion she brought up.

"Well best get on with it auntie." She said, snorting at the woman's raised brow.

"Well before I get to that, I wanted to ask how you're doing." Minerva said.

Eda's stomach dropped. Sirius wouldn't have snitched would he? No, that's not like Sirius. Ryan wouldn't have, she supported Eda's decision to return to Hogwarts.

"What do you mean? I'm fine." Eda said, giving her best poker face. It definitely didn't fool Minerva. She knew Eda too well.

"I mean, it was brought to my attention that you've been having a hard time the last few weeks. Would you like to talk about it? I don't know the details, all that was said to me is that you've been having a dreadful time as of late." She said,

"Who told you that?"

"Don't worry about that. I was asked to check in on you and make sure you're doing ok. That is all."

"I'm fine auntie. Really."

Minerva nodded.

"You'll come to me if that changes."

She wasn't asking. It was a demand, but a kind one. Eda nodded and Minerva dropped the subject.

"I wanted to let you know, the ministry of magic has appointed the DADA professor this year. I know you have a love for messing with people who piss you off, but I implore you to resist that urge. She's going to be a headache as it is without your hijinx."

Eda summoned a bottle of firewhiskey, mirroring their last conversation, but before she could take a swig, Minerva snatched it away.

"What the hell auntie?!" Eda whined, reaching for it.

"Oh! It's half past three, I best be off. Best of luck me bairn. I'll see you at the feast this evening."

Edaline stood to hug her auntie, attempting to snatch the glass bottle firmly in her grasp.

"Nice try you hooligan."

"Oi! C'mon give it back!" Eda protested.

"No more for you, lass. Can't be caught drinking on the job can you?"

Eda groaned and stomped her foot like a petulant child.

"Come on! School does nae start til tomorrow."

"But we have the feast, and you must be on your best behavior."

Eda groaned and flopped back on the couch.

"Where's the fun in that?"