♡ ᴄᴀɴᴅʟᴇʟɪɢʜᴛ || ʟᴜᴄɪꜰᴇʀ ♡

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

Winter nights of the Devildom have always been difficult to sleep in. Frigid and frozen air refusing to stop biting at your skin despite the many blankets weighing you down, and the tough winds howling every night to disrupt and awaken you every time you're about to drift off.

However, of all the nights that you've struggled with, this one is undoubtedly the worst.

The middle of winter always brings about the harshest chills along with it when it makes its appearance. You've made sure to prepare for it by - as advised by the Avatar of Sloth - hoarding an entire family's worth blankets on your bed and lighting a few candles around your room earlier.

Even with all the safety measures that you took, your teeth still chatter violently, goose bumps begin to show on your arm and your fingertips grow increasingly pale. Desperate to get at least a wink of sleep, you're not willing to tolerate the severe cold for another second.

Leaping from your bed, your feet come into contact with the icy floor. Each step stings your heels with a bite of frost and you waste no time in gathering what you need to survive the night as you rush yourself to the cupboard holding all the pillows and quilts you could ever want or need.

You pick out all that you're able to carry in your arms and a breath of fog forms in front of you as you sigh, relieved to know there's more than enough blankets for you to use. More than enough to keep you warm for the time being.

Before you can call an end to this short mission and shut the cupboard doors yourself, another hand reaches out - so sudden and quick - then closes it for you, and the abrupt action causes you to flinch just the slightest. "Cold?" a voice asks from directly behind.

Whipping around in a flash, you meet eye-to-eye with the eldest brother, his gaze fixed on you as if he caught you red handed while committing a crime. "Lucifer? You're still awake? I thought you were asleep already."

"I could say the same for you," he folds his arms over his chest. "I'm certain I saw you enter your room almost two hours ago. Was tonight a little colder than you expected?"

Looking at the mass of blankets you have on your hands, it's clear to both of you what the answer is. "You know I don't handle the cold in the Devildom that well. Belphie already gave me a few of his pillows and stuff, but I still can't sleep properly. What about you? How come you're still up?" you turn the question back to him.

Lucifer rubs the back of his stiff and sore neck. "I was preoccupied with a bit of Diavolo's unfinished paperwork. It was a handful and it took me longer to complete than I had hoped, but I managed. I was returning to my room until I saw you here, wandering the hallways."

You chuckle awkwardly and rotate yourself towards the direction of your own bedroom. "Well, don't let me keep you waiting here. You need to sleep, and so do I. Plus, my feet are cold and I want to get them warm," you turn your back towards the eldest and begin walking away from him.

You only manage to slip in a step before you feel yourself being lifted from the ground, swept off your feet as Lucifer picks you up with ease and carries you as groom would his bride. The Avatar of Pride swings the bundle of blankets you hold over his shoulder, the quilts covering your knees and keeping you warm. The only object left in your hands is an extra pillow that you grabbed.

"H-Hey, what's all this for? You can put me down, you know? I can walk on my own," you voice the absurdity of this gesture as your legs dangle mid-air.

"You said you had cold feet. I couldn't let you walk off after you made your complaints so clear," the corner of his lips lift by an almost unnoticeable amount as he presses your head against his chest.