CHAPTER 05

NOVA

My eyes felt heavy as I slowly opened them. Light crept in and I couldn’t help but wince.

“ Nova,” my mom’s voice said as I felt her warm hand on mine. “ Why did you do it?”

“ I’m sorry!” the words came out hollow. “ I just wanted to escape the pain.”

“ By overdosing your medication? Nova…” her voice trembled as I heard her sniffing.

“ I, I will be strong now mom. I promise!” I said between tears.

“ I’m scared! You keep wanting to slip off my hands.” She cried.
I forced my body up and looked at her. She was in tears too.

Maybe I should tell her about Khia. The real reason behind my pain.

“ What are we supposed to do now?” she asked.

“ I have to go to school. Mom, I promise…I will be strong. Next time I feel pain, I won’t take any medicine.” I lied to her face.

“ Is everything ok at school?”

“ Yes, everything is fine. I promise.”

She let out a deep sigh and let go of my hand. “ I love you Nova,”

“ I love you too.”

She then pulled me close to her chest and hugged me gently. I felt safe. I was protected, not even my evil thoughts could hurt me. A mother’s hug was the safest place in the world.

I wish everyone had the opportunity to feel what I was feeling.

“ Let us go out this evening. There’s this restaurant I know. You love fortune cookies right?” her voice interrupted my thoughts.

“ Yes,” I whispered.

“ Alright then. Let’s get you ready, I want you looking like a princess tonight.”

She let me go and I smile shortly. I didn’t have much time left anyways, I deserved to go out sometimes.

After the conversation, she made sure that I looked like a princess.

I wore a little A-line pale pink dress with long sleeves, some white sneakers and some shimmery makeup. She then straighten my hair.

“ Come on, let’s go.” She said as we both walked out of the house, into the car and drove down to the restaurant.

Soft music played as I looked out of the window, into the dark world.

Finally, we reached the restaurant and parked the car next to a old school convertible. Mom opened the door for me and I walked out.

She then led me inside the place. Divine smell welcomed us as we sat down on one of the tables.
A young waiter came to us quickly.

“ Good evening ladies,” he said politely. “ Can I help you with anything around here?”

“ We’d like the menu please.” Mom spoke.

“ Okay, let me go get it.” He said before walking away.

“ Ladies,” I whispered to mom. “ I like being called that!”

She smiled softly. “ Me too,”
My eyes then looked around the exotic restaurant.

It was beautiful. Foreign symbols were written on most of the furniture. As I stared at the symbols, they began to dance, forming letters of the alphabet.

“ Here’s the menu.” The deep voice of the waiter interrupted me as my mom took the menu books. “ Bought some fortune cookies as well, they are on the house.”

“ I don’t believe in fortune cookies,” I mumbled.

“ Won’t hurt cracking one open.” The waiter said. I looked up at him and he smiled.

I smiled back. He was handsome.  My chest felt tingly and weird. What was wrong with me?!

I quickly grabbed one cookie and battled to crack it. I think he noticed that because he laughed and said, “ I almost broke my fingers one time. They can be tough sometimes.”

“ Mom,” I croaked. She took the cookie from my hand and cracked it open before pulling out a piece of paper. She then handed it to me.

“ Open up your heart, you are about to receive the greatest gift.” I read the words loudly.

“ Wow, that’s nice.” mom said.