CHAPTER 24

NOVA POV

“ What was that?!”

“ What happened to the lights?”

“ I dunno, come, let’s get out of here.”

After those words, I heard footsteps heading out of the restroom.

The sound of the door closing was heard and then silence filled the room afterwards. I sighed.

Maybe I had to also go back to class, I rose to my feet and pulled the door before walking out.

I dragged my body out of the restroom and into the school passages. Voices filled the passages as students walked pass me, carrying their bags.

I stopped walking and looked around.

“ Nova,” the deep voice said as I looked at my biology teacher.

“ Mr Nakayama,” I said.

“ What are you still doing here? I called your mom to come fetch you. We’ve cancelled class due to some incidents.” He explained.

“ Oh?”

“ Yes, go on! I’ll see you on Monday okay?”

“ Yes sir,” I whispered softly before walking pass him, holding onto my bag pack tightly.

At least class was cancelled, I didn’t have to worry with facing anyone. As I walked down the hallway, I realized that it was quite empty.

I could move freely and fast. That was good.

I walked out of the building and the first thing I saw was him. He was leaning on the dark grey car and puffing out some smoke from his lips.

I smiled shortly and fixed my hair before standing next to where he was.

If only he could see me!

Unfortunately, he didn’t even look my direction. That was when mom’s car arrived and she parked it opposite where I was standing.

“ Nova!” she yelled, her face visible from the opened window.

I waved at her, realizing that he was now looking at me. My feet seemed to forget how they operated and I tripped over nothing and almost fell.

No!!!

“ You’re okay?” mom asked as I reached the car.

I nodded, my face a shade of red.  I walked inside and closed the door behind.

Defeat filled my face. I was embarrassed.

“ Are you sure that you’re okay?” she asked.

“ Yes,” I replied. “ Just tired.”

She smiled softly before pointing at him, “ Is that the boy?”

“ No!” I whispered in defeat.

“ I saw him looking at you. That’s why you almost fell,”

“ Really?” I asked her in shock.

“ Hhm-hhm!” she said before starting the car. “ Please tell me that is the boy,”

“ Yes,” I whispered softly. “ He’s very nice.”

“ And a smoker. You know your health doesn’t allow you to stay with such people right?” she said as she drove down the road.

“ Meaning?” I asked.

“ You can’t stay with him. He will damage your lungs. I don’t want you getting sick again okay?”
I nodded.

I understood her perfectly. I had to stay away from him. It wasn’t like I couldn’t live without him.

Mom was right, my health came first than any boy who barely knew my existence.