3.6 The Empress...

In the small courtyard, a dimly lit room by candlelight created a serene picture. Zheng Guozi, a kinda creepy stalker, was busy admiring his beloved's concentrated look while writing a poem. In actuality, Sun Gui was trying to remember the fate of the empress. The emperor could abolish the harem but there was no way he could abolish the empress's position. The only way for Sun Wen to be the only one in the harem was to let the empress disappear.

That was exactly what happened in the original plot. Sun Wen's system required him to be an Empress and accompanied his imperial majesty for life. Therefore, he had to get rid of the empress. For the paranoid emperor, it was easy to sow a seed of doubt between them. The empress, Wan Yingtai, was from a loyal family to the imperial blood. The only way to tip the emperor off was her 'infidelity', especially with the one the emperor hated the most, the deceased regent. He whispered words of their love affair to the emperor's ears. He even faked love letters between them. He warned the emperor to be mindful of a grieving woman when she knew that he was the cause of his death. So, when the imperial couple was having tea, he secretly checked for poison and the tea was indeed contaminated. The emperor then accused her of treason and her three family generations were executed.

'I haven't met such vicious leads for a while, they always resort to death as their solution. This modern ger is not ordinary for killing someone without remorse. I pity Wan Yingtai for just being at the seat of the empress, she didn't even have any real power in the harem because that damn Zheng Hong already gave it to Sun Wen.'

Sun Gui sighed and put the brush down. He had to think about how to get the empress out of the palace without stirring any suspicion. He needed to meet the empress first to make any further move. The candlelight was put out then he settled into bed. His eyes glanced at the corner of the room for a bit before closing his eyes. In the three months he spent here, the only long sleep he had was after meeting his lover. Now that his lover's presence was always surrounding him and watching him, he had been regaining his lost sleep for the past week.

Zheng Guozi waited for Sun Gui's breath to be even before getting out of the shadow. His thumb traced gently at the youth's plump lips and then stroked the chin with his index finger. He sat down beside the sleeping figure with adoring eyes.

In the past week, the emperor had never gone into the inner court despite the encouragement of the officials, he did not even go to his favored concubine but locked himself in his chamber. Zheng Guozi then listened to the gossip of the people in the palace, which he found disdainful before, and found out that Sun Gui had never been touched by the emperor! His hand slowly traced down to the youth's stomach and rubbed it gently.

"So skinny... You need to fatten up."

He placed a gentle kiss on the forehead and lay down with him, enveloping him in his arms.

Morning came, Sun Gui felt an emptiness as he woke up alone on the bed. However, there was not much time to dwell on it. He got into his praying clothes and walked toward the South Temple. Every three days, the empress would go to pray in the morning. It was the perfect chance to have a 'coincidental' meeting and chat over tea.

"Mistress, this concubine hopes that you have a good morning." Sun Gui lowered his head and body to the empress.

"There is no need for a salute in the temple, you can stand up straight." A tired and lifeless voice caught his ears. His emerald eyes squinted and immediately relaxed to look at the empress's appearance.

'Oh Wan Yingtai...'

Since they were at the temple, there were only a few maids attending to the empress. Meanwhile, Sun Gui had none. His eyes carefully looked up and down at Wan Ying Tai. Even if she adorned herself with excellent fabric and beautiful clothes, it could not hide the fatigue exuding from her. Her eyes were shallow with no light, her lips seemed to be chapped and pale, and her cheeks were a little hollow. If she was not wearing her exquisite cloak, no one would have guessed she was the empress.