3.13 Final Showdown

**All the events were fictional**

Even if they searched in the sky or under the dirt, it was impossible for them to find the diviner. Blue eyes were such a rarity in the nation and no one was reported to possess those blue eyes. The search was futile.

Before the emperor's anger could flare up, it was already the new year.

Every new year, there is a tradition to organize a sacrificial ritual to ask for the nation's fate and blessings from the heavens. Rice wine would be served to symbolize the purity of the land as well as the food source of the country. Dancing and singing would happen for the first three days to make sure the following year be full of happiness. A large fire would be lit as a signal to heaven, praying for the people to be warm and passionate. The bigger the fire, the richer was the country.

Of course, Zheng Hong had no mood for this tradition. It had been a month since the order and six months of no reports on the regent's whereabouts. Though, he was finally informed of the defeat of his collaborators and the leader was missing in the battlefield. Therefore, he rushed to the room to check his doucments. But, his communication hiding in the secret chamber was missing, making him on edge all the time.

This was a nationwide tradition for thousands of years, with all the nobles and officials being invited every year to the celebration of new year, hence, he could only bite his lips and proceed with the preparation.

But he knew, his guts were telling him that the regent was still alive somewhere, waiting for the perfect moment to attack him and pull him down.

-----------------------

"Don't you think it's disrespectful to arrange a celebration when the fate of the regent is still unknown?" A small official whispered into the ear of another small official.

"Shhh! How dare you say that in the palace of the dragon?"

"I mean, last year was undoubtedly chaotic ever since the dragon got that ger back to the palace... from the flood, the resources, the death of the empress and the invasion."

"There's no other choice. The emperor has to appease the people precisely because of last year. W-we must have heaven's blessings!"

"I doubt that... The regent's disappearance makes a big impact on the nation."

"What are you trying to say?"

"...Nothing." If he said the things that he had been thinking, he would die in the hands of the current emperor.

The banquet had started with the attendance of many officials and nobles. The ever solemn palace turned noisy at the gossips and murmurs among the gentlemen and ladies. The most common topic of those whispers was the missing regent.

As the atmosphere grew livelier, the thumping drum signaled the arrival of an important status entering the banquet. All heads turned to the gate and immediately bowed down at the golden robes lined with dragons stitches.

The emperor was carried on a sedan chair by eight guards. His seat was plated in gold and with intricate carvings of a dragon holding a pearl. Many servants followed behind, carrying large gold umbrellas with their heads down. It was a whole spectacle.

Zheng Hong sat on the mighty seat, looking down at the crowd. His eyes lingered at a specific section, which made them shiver at that long stare. He scoffed at the shrinking appearance, thinking their mouths were so brave until his presence.

The sedan chair lowered allowing him to step down. His posture was upright, exuding a mighty air of royalty, showing no semblance of the anxious emperor before. He sat on his seat and raised his right hand.