4.16 Standing On The Sidelines (End of Arc 4)

Everything was hazy, covered in a thick fog that could make people lose their way. But soon enough, the fog dissipated and things started to get clearer. There was a quiet laughing sound, it was cold but soft.

Gaius opened his eyes to see the sparkling blue eyes turning into crescents. Those eyes made his heart skip a beat, at the same time, it hurt terribly, as if... he missed something.

At that moment, a sharp pain came onto his head and images started flashing. He remembered.

"Hm... he looks like he's in pain?" Aeson looked back at the squirming Gaius curiously to see the guy sweating profusely.

"Possibly by being the one staying by the Demon's side the longest, he was somehow affected the most, so he's being purified now." The moment Alfred noticed that Gaius was paying attention to his Aeson, he was extra cautious towards a potential love rival. At the same time, there were signs of infection that could only appear by continuous contact with a Demon, making Alfred think that they were in the same boat. But seemingly not when looking at how Gaius did not dare to attack people indiscriminately.

"So I guess it's a... good thing?"

"Who knows?"

Aeson noticed that his lover in this life could act pretty cheeky and friendly towards others, but no one could ever break through some kind of distance that Alfred subconsciously made. Nothing seemed to interest him much besides magic.

There was also a little pity in Aeson's gaze towards Gaius, but nothing more than that, since he, himself, admitted that his feelings were also flawed from traveling through worlds too much.

They, including the exhausted Liliana, stayed in the Duke's estate for a while to investigate any remaining traces of 'Luciel's' demonic presence. Surprisingly, to Aeson at least, 'Luciel' had some contact with the Demon Cult already. It seemed like she had too much freedom as a Duchess to dare to invite some of the Demon Cult's members to be her servants.

"Hey, you really didn't know?" A clanging sound kept reverberating in a dark room.

Alfred knocked on the crystal ball containing 'Luciel's' soul with a metal knife from somewhere. Even though contained, she was still conscious and also got to know what happened from the wizard whom she thought was her fish.

"I-I don't know, I just felt like I needed to hire them!" Her voice shrieked in a high-pitched voice.

"Tell me more details, please." His voice was polite as he grinned. However, in 'Luciel's' eyes, she could see wickedness in that normal smile.

Aeson was next to Alfred on the sofa as he listened to 'Luciel's' recalling her recruitment of the Demon Cult. She felt very biased when she met them, feeling like they would worship her like a god and do whatever she commanded. And it was true, anything she wanted was always delivered, good or... bad things. The only thing they could not do for her yet was to find the original female lead, well, only because it was sabotaged by Aeson.

Then Aeson asked if she knew anything about the Demon King, she nodded eagerly in the crystal ball as she noticed how Alfred seemed to really value this pretty elf's opinion. As she was about to say something, a bloody scream came out of the crystal ball, and suddenly, all became quiet.

"What happened?" Aeson was confused, he scratched his head and looked back at Alfred.

"Hm... She's the daughter of the Demon King. Maybe she was placed a curse by her father without knowing, something along the line of not allowing her to talk about the Demon King. Judging by how she kept spilling out information, it seems like she's not lying. But it also looks like she doesn't know that she is the daughter of that great evil... Well, it is just my speculation, honey."