Chapter 4. Home

Christian Nicholas Brisknberg

"sir, you have a meeting in 10 minutes" my assistant James said with a straight face through the door. I groaned and he flinched. Hah, what a long day. I have been having meetings after meetings the whole day and I was tired, I just wanted to ho home and rest.

I gave him a nod and he was out as fast as he appeared. I grabbed my jacket, put it on then off I went. James followed me to the private elevator carrying his and my laptop bag. He always did that though I never ask him to, but arguing with James is like talking to a tree, he doesn't listen.

We made it to the conference room where I could hear chatters but as soon as I entered, everyone went quite, just how I liked it. I went to my sit and James sat next to me placing my laptop in front of me and switched it on. I could feel the tense atmosphere in the room but I was too tired to care.
"let's begin" I announced

To say I was famished after the long meeting would be an understatement. I was ready to drop down. But I had to keep up the strong facade.

"sir, your father called a few minutes ago"
My second assistant said as I walked through her desk.
"call him and redirect him to my office"

I wondered what the old man wanted now. Probably to ask about the company when he already knew everything that was going on in my company.
In 5 minutes the office phone was ringing and I picked it up.
"how are you raising your sister!" he busted on the other side that I gas to pull the phone away from my ears. I waited for him to ramble more before I heard him calm down and I put the phone back to my ear.

"good evening to you too father" I sarcastically said
"don't give me the good boy act Nicholas Brisknberg! You better tell me where your sister is before I lose it"

I massaged my temple as I popped down on my sit, I could feel my anger coming up.

"I do not remember giving birth to any daughter father, isn't your job to know where your children are? It's not like you have anything to do"
"Nicholas Brisknberg am your father you're talking to. Call your sister and tell her to come home this instant! God knows what she is doing in God knows where! That child will be the death of me" I heard him sigh "your mother asked about you"

Fuck this "tell her to call me herself" I couldn't hold the venom that spitted with my words and I couldn't care less. I slammed the phone back in its place and it was thanks to God that I didn't smash it. Now my already bad day just got ruined.

Father knew better than to mention mum like that. That woman didn't even deserve to call my name, let alone say she misses me.
As much as she was called my mother, that was the only relationship that we had.
I packed the remaining documents then picked my phone and dialed my sister's number. She picked up right away.

"brother!" her cheerful voice echoed in my office and I couldn't help but smile. She made my life worth living thou she was a thorn in the ass. All my headaches were because of her. "how are you?"

"why are you not picking up dad's calls?" I went straight to the point. I didn't have the energy to chit chat.
"so he called you huh? That old man can't give me a second of my life can he?"
"where are you?"
"Italy"
"Luna..."
"I promise I wasn't gonna stay long, I just happened to be here"
"happened to be in Italy? Does your fiance know? Am sure dad wouldn't be flipping over nothing"
"of course Julian knows" I could read her lies like she was right next to me. There was no way Julian would let her go to Italy alone.
"matter of fact, i will just call him to put your mind at ease, hmmm?"
"am getting you a ticket back home for tonight, be on that plane Luna. If you don't want college then at least take your duties seriously"
"urrgghh you sound like dad."
"I have my own problems Luna, I don't want you to be one of them. So please be on that plane"
"fine. But I won't be going home. I will go to Julian's"
"whatever gets father's heart at ease. And call him, he gets all father mode when he is annoyed about something"
"more like annoyed about mum. But I promise I will give him a call ok."
"one more thing, I hope you didn't trash my house Luna. I will be heading there next week"
"good as new"
"it better be"

Then I cut the phone. The only time I smile is when am talking to Luna. She is my little sister and my only other sibling. She is just a little too much to hundle. Still acts as if she is in her teens. I mean she is already 23, with a suitable partner but no, she wants more.

Last year I had to deal with almost 20 guys knocking on the company door with a broken heart and a threat to cause a scandal. The last thing we wanted was the engaged Brisknberg caught up in a cheating scandal. This year it wasn't much, but it doesn't mean they weren't there. It was hard to be Julian, but he had to understand that she was living her life before she could commit in a marriage

I wonder whose heart was broken this time for her to fly all the way to Italy.

I left the company premises at 6 and drove home. The first thing that jumped on me as I opened the door were my two prince's, Bruno and gore.
"hey boys!" I laughed as they tackled me to the floor and licked my face "yeah I missed you too buddies" I stood up and entered the house. Bruno was a brown German sherpard while gore was a white snow dog. They were my best companions these too and I loved them so much.

"good evening Mr Brisknberg..." Rita, our house maid greeted. She was more like a family, like the mother that I had but at the same time never had. She has watched over us since me and Lun were still kids.
"evening Rita, how how they been today?"
"terrible as usual" she gave me her old woman chuckle and I smiled giving her a peck on the cheek. "dinner?"
"yes please, am starving"

I could only be like this within these walls, where no one was expecting anything from me. Where I could be myself wearing jeans and t-shirts all I want. And whine to Rita all I wanted and she wouldn't complain. Because out there, I was the cold Brisknberg, the Ceo of berg cooperation, The bachelor, all the names they gave me that described me.

I just loved being home.