Chapter 5. First Encounter

Caleb Cooper

"guess she really dumped me didn't she?"

I saw a flick of sadness pass through Laura's eyes before it was replaced with a tight smile. I knew she was trying to make me feel better, but she had been joking about it for the past week and a half.

It's been that long since Luna dropped the bomb of breaking up with me, and I still haven't accepted it. I didn't believe she would do that to me, I mean she wouldn't. She had said she liked me, a lot. That I mattered to her. The was no no way she would break up with me, especially not through the phone. Luna was a straight forward person, she would face me and tell me. She would never...

The more I tried to convince myself that she wouldn't the more it actually broke my heart. The past week has been a really hell hole for me, trying to find a reason why she would just leave like that, a reason she wouldn't want me anymore. I tried to reminisce where I could have gone wrong during our dates, but nothing came to me. Because all I did was cherish her, I knew I wasn't enough but I wasn't that bad of a boyfriend to Luna.

I wanted her to call me so bad, to tell me it was just a prank, that it was a joke and she had gone somewhere for family purposes. But after a week, even my stubborn mind had to accept the fact that she was not coming back to me.

I looked at Laura "do you think she is at her house? I mean she could be there waiting for me, waiting to tell me it was a joke" even that didn't convince me.

"Caleb..." she took my hand and squeezed it gently. I could feel the tears that were threatening to come out of my eyes but I blinked them back. I didn't want to cry. Crying meant I was accepting everything. I didn't want to accept it, yet. Not until I heard it from her that she was really done with me. I sighed.

"let's go drink tonight" Mike suddenly suggested picking up his back. We all stared at him "what? This down mood is getting to me too. Plus Caleb could really use a drink or two with loud music"

"Caleb doesn't drink Mike"

"let's go" they all looked at me like I had said something weird. Well it was considering I haven't gone out with them for almost 2 years now. But drinking sounded like a great idea right now. I didn't want to hall myself up in my sorrows. "plus it's a Friday, what could go wrong?"

But everything could go wrong!
I was ready to shit my pants by the time I was standing in front of the club in my faded orange thigh shorts, black long sleeve t-shirt, black hoodie and black vans. Don't get me wrong, I didn't choose my outfit, Laura did. Saying my legs looked great in really short shorts. I felt so exposed walking felt hard.

But still here I was, in front of the hot clubs in town with my three friends when were already drunk. They scram as it reached our turn to go inside. I felt like I didn't belong at all. All this was new to me.

We were hit by a gush of hot air and loud music as soon as we got inside and I almost turned back if Laura hadn't grabbed my hand and rushed to the counter.
"three shots of taquila and a Margherita!" she shouted at the bar man due to music. But he still managed to hear her and gave her a smile. He brought the shots and one cup with a straw. She handed the cup to me, I looked at her with a surprise.

"don't worry, those won't do anything to you. They are low on alcohol so you are good" I frowned because she was shouting directly in my ear. I just have her a smile and grabbed the cup. The three of them took the shots like they were drinking water. I don't even know how much they had been drinking but it was enough to make a grown man sing out loud.

"we will be on the dance floor, remember to relax!" Mike said then dissappeared into the dance floor with Louis. Laura looked at me and smiled.
"am grad you joined us today Caleb, just forget everything for today and have fun. Am sure Luna is having fun wherever she is OK?"
I have her a reassuring smile and nodded. I sipped the drink and to my surprise it was really sweet.
"like it?" a male voice asked me and I looked up, it was the bar man. He gave me a weird smirk with a raised brow. Wasnt he supposed to be serving customers? But my polite side kicked in and I smiled at him
"yeah, it's sweet" I replied
"not much of a drinker are you?"
"no, just happened to find myself here baby sitting three adults" I joked and he smiled turning to serve a guy three sits away from me.
"I told you looked good" this time Laura whispered in my ear
"what? Why?" I asked not understanding where all this is  coming from.
"look at you, even guys are hitting on you" she laughed and I have her a friendly punch on the shoulder.
"that guy wasn't hitting on me"
"so innocent"