Chapter Twenty Nine - The 'No'Ball

Cynthia couldn't help but laugh as her brother ran around the room looking for all the last minute things he needed for the Snowball. He was looking for that stupid hairspray that Steve told him about.

"Son of a bitch!" Dustin cursed as he ran around the house. "Son of a bitch!"

"Where did you see it last?" their mom asked.

"Right here," Dustin pointed to the counter. "Where I put it."

"That bag is probably better thrown away," Cynthia teased as she sat at the kitchen table.

"What's in there that's so important anyway?" their mom asked. She smiled as she looked at Dustin. "You look fabulous baby."

Dustin found the bag and took it in his hand, "Got it."

The doorbell rang. All of the Henderson's looked towards the door.

"That's your ride, Dusty," their mom bid them farewell. "Have fun with your friend, Cynthia."

"We will, Mom," Cynthia put her arm around Dustin as they walked to the door. She looked at her brother. "You are looking pretty sharp. I don't think that you even need the fancy hair tips from Steve." That was the moment that Dustin decided to open the door.

"Wrong," Steve held up his hand. "My fancy hair tips are always needed. Now let's go, Dustin has a dance to get to and ladies to woo."

"You are ridiculous," Cynthia laughed as they walked to his car.

Cynthia took the back seat, so Dustin and Steve could have some guy talk. She smiled as she watched Steve give Dustin advice, even if she didn't agree with all of it. Cynthia was just glad that Dustin had a older boy to look up to. They pulled up to the school. Cynthia scooted up in her seat. She wanted to send her brother off properly.

"Okay," Dustin breathed out to calm himself.

"All right, buddy here we are," Steve gave him a pep talk. "So, remember, once you get in there..."

"Pretend like I don't care," Dustin finished

"I still think that that's a bad piece of advice," Cynthia chimed in. The boys ignored her.

"You don't care," Steve said.

Dustin nodded along, "I don't care."

"There you go," Steve smiled at Dustin. "You're learning, my friend. You are learning." Dustin looked down like he was doubting himself, but Steve nipped that in the bud. "Hey."

"What?" Dustin asked as he turned towards Steve.

"Come on," he tried to give Dustin a confidence boost. "You great, okay."

"Like this is the best that you have ever looked ever," Cynthia added.

"You look great," Steve reiterated. "Now, you're going to go in there."

"Yeah," Dustin nodded.

"Look like a million bucks," Steve continued.

"Yeah," Dustin was smiling.

"And you're going to slay 'em dead," Steve told him. "Like a lion."

Dustin did the weird purring thing with his teeth. Both Steve and Cynthia visually flinched back.

"Don't do that okay," Steve told him.

"Like ever again," Cynthia added.

"Okay," Dustin nodded as he started to head out the door.

"Good luck!" Steve called after him.

"This is going to go great!" Cynthia tried to comfort him.

She really hoped that she wasn't lying to her brother. She really wanted this school dance to go well for him and the rest of the kids. They had all been through so much: they all deserved a night of fun. Cynthia looked as she saw Steve staring longingly at Nancy. She decided to end that pity party by climbing into the front seat from the back.