Chapter Seventy Two - The Day Before Everything Changed

Cynthia was at her locker getting out the books she needed for the day. She wanted to claw her eyes out. It was the day before the day before Spring Break. It was completely boring, since no one wanted to start anything. She looked over her shoulder when she heard someone clear their throat. It was Lucas.

"Hey, Lucas," Cynthia said as she turned to face him. "What's up?"

"Hey, I know that you're busy and that there's a Hellfire session tomorrow," Lucas scratched his neck before handed her something. "But, do you think that you would come to my game?"

Cynthia took what she assumed was the ticket, "Lucas, I've been to every one of your games. There was no one in hell I was going to miss this one."

"Really?" Lucas smiled at her.

"Really," Cynthia nodded. "Besides, I have a good feeling about this game. I think you're going to get some playing time tomorrow."

"You think?" Lucas asked. "I just don't know, since I'm a freshman and this is a big game and..."

"Lucas," Cynthia stopped his rambling. "Tomorrow's game is going to be a big one. I just know it." She started to walk to her class. "I'll see you at the game tomorrow."

Cynthia made her way to class. She was glad that she had told Eddie that she wasn't able to make it to this week's session of Hellfire weeks ago. Originally, she was going to be helping Nancy prepare for Jonathan's arrival for Spring Break, but he had cancelled last minute. It wasn't ideal, but it definitely freed her up to go to Lucas's game. She saw Nancy in the hall as she was making her way to class. Luckily, their classes were right next to each other.

"Hey, Nance," Cynthia said as she took her place by Nancy's side.

"Hey, Cynthia," Nancy spared a glance over at her.

"Are you going to the basketball game tomorrow?" Cynthia asked.

"I have to," Nancy said. "I'm going to be writing an article for it in the school newspaper." She looked at Cynthia. "Are you going?"

"First of all, there's no need to sound surprised," Cynthia raised her eyebrow. "I've been to every single game. Second of all, yes I'm going to be there. Lucas asked me to come watch him during the big game. Third of all, do you have any space in your fancy reporter section for me? If you don't, I'll be stuck standing next to Steve and whatever fling he decides to bring to the game."

"Steve is going?" Nancy asked. "Why?"

"Lucas also asked Steve to come," Cynthia said. "Remember, he's a Mama Bear."

"Fair point," Nancy said. "But, unfortunately, I do not have room in the reporter section. Mainly, it's because you need a school reporter badge to get in."

"Dammit, I tried," Cynthia pursed her lips. "Well, I'll see you later. Hopefully, I don't die of boredom."

"You're overdramatic," Nancy laughed.

"I am the perfectly right amount of dramatic," Cynthia smiled at her. "See you later, Nancy Drew."

"See you later, Cynthia," Nancy said as Cynthia walked into her first period class.

Cynthia sat down in her seat and prepared herself for the inevitable horribleness that was about to ensue. The first few hours of the day were absolutely horrible. However, Cynthia kept herself motivated by looking forward to Spring Break. Her and Eddie had planned a three day trip to Chicago. It was going to be a fun time full of visiting museums, bookstores, music shops, and literally anything else that they could think of. It was going to be perfect. Eventually, it was time for lunch. Cynthia went to the cafeteria and took her place by Eddie's side. She rested her leg on his, and Eddie put his arm around her shoulder.

"Come on guys," Gareth groaned. "We're trying to eat lunch."

"Don't get your panties in a bunch, Gareth," Cynthia started to take her lunch out of her lunchbox. "We're touching each other not having sex on the table. You'll understand when you get a girlfriend."

"Thank you for that visual, Cynthia," Dustin groaned.

"I'm never going to get that image out of my head," Mike sounded scarred.

Cynthia glanced at the younger boys, "Sorry about that."

"That's not what's important," Eddie said. "Are we all prepared for tomorrow's session? It's the pinnacle of all I have put you through this campaign."

Everyone nodded and looked really excited. Cynthia smiled. Even though she wasn't going to be at the session, she still knew what was going to happen. She had helped Eddie write it after all. Cynthia did wish she could see everyone's faces when they find out about Vecna, but going to Lucas's game was more important.

Lunch passed too quickly, and Cynthia was back to the boring schedule that she had been confined to for the past few months. It warmed her heart that after Spring Break she only had two more months to go before she was finally free of Hawkins High and could get the hell out of this town. It wasn't going to happen over night, but anything was better than nothing. Cynthia got through her day with relative ease. It was finally time to go home. Cynthia was going to head over to the Family Video before heading over to Eddie's house. Even though it had just been a few days without seeing either Robin or Steve, it was too long. Cynthia headed to her car without her brother in tow. She was glad that Mike and Dustin were hanging out at the Wheeler house today. Her mother was even picking Dustin up on her way home from work. Cynthia got into her car and made her way to the Family Video. The parking lot was basically empty save Steve's car. She walked in and saw her friends behind the desks.

"You two look miserable," Cynthia said as she walked in.

"That's because we are," Steve sighed. "You try working here and not having the soul sucked out of you."

"The work I did at Scoops Ahoy was enough to know that," Cynthia said as she sat on their counter.

"Off the counter," Robin tried to push her off. "We have to try and maintain an air of professionalism."

"With all the customers you have here?" Cynthia asked with a raised eyebrow. Neither Steve nor Robin had an answer to that. "Are you excited for that pep rally tomorrow, Robin?"

"As excited as I can be," Robin rolled her eyes. "It's going to be awful."

"I always had a good time at pep rallies," Steve said.

"That's because you were always one of the people being celebrated," Cynthia said. "It's different for the band kid forced to be there and the loser that all the sports jocks hate."

"You're not a loser," Steve said. "But you do have a fair point."

"Any predications for the game tomorrow?" Robin asked Steve.

"I say it's a close game, but Hawkins pull through," Steve said.

"You always say that," Cynthia said.

"I'm always sometimes right though," Steve pointed out.

Cynthia watched as two cars pulled into the parking lot. She hopped off the counter.

"I better be leaving," Cynthia said. "I just wanted to see you two dinguses."

"I am not a dingus," Robin laughed.

"See you later, Cynthia," Steve said.

"Peace out," Cynthia said as she walked out the door.

She made her way back to her car and made her way to Eddie's trailer. It didn't take her long to get there. She parked her car and headed into the trailer. When she got there, there was music coming from Eddie's room alongside the smell of pot. She went into his room and found Eddie against his bed with a joint in hand.

"There's my girl," Eddie smiled at her.

"You know, you won't have anything to sell to customers if you keep smoking your stock," Cynthia said as she straddled Eddie and cupped his cheeks.

"I'll be fine," Eddie took a drag of the joint. He made sure to turn his face away from Cynthia's before exhaling. "I always find a way to stay in business."

"You're ridiculous," Cynthia giggled as she kissed Eddie. His lips definitely tasted like pot, but Cynthia didn't care.

Eddie just looked back at her and smiled, "Only for you."